Error 3 adding a ssd

Tip32a

Mar 24, 2018
I just created a Proxmox 5.1 box on a 250 GB SSD. Have not created VM yet. I want to add a second SSD this ine is a samsung EVO 860 500GB. it is listed in DISKS. When I try to initialize it as GPT I get an error 3.

Am I doing this wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Tip32a,

First you need to understand the Linux filesystem a little bit, in Linux you don't have drives like "c:", "d:" and so on but you got a single "root" filesystem (the /). Within that filesystem you can mount other filesystems to "paths (or folders)".

The disk utility just creates a partition table on that disk, nothing else - to use it you need to create a partition, format it and then mount it somewhere.

Please ask here if you need help with the above steps.

thank you Rene, I suspected something like that. I am having a major problem searching for answers. Since PVE is in it's version there are results dating back to I think 2002. ( But at least for years) I cannot find a lot of current data. I have been burnt in the past using commands that have been obsoleted and muck things up. Can you or someone tell me what file type the new drive has to be? OR if someone has a complete shell command script. the new drive is dev/sdb

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!