ENOUGH WITH THE pve-root sizing crap!!

Nov 5, 2018
I installed Proxmox VE on a 16GB card. I let Proxmox installer handle the storage configuration automatically. EVERY SINGLE TIME I INSTALL A new 'apt install' I run out of space and rebooting no longer fixes the problem! If someone has a CLEAR (read non, pipe this and > that and % there to f^%k &That) answer on a L O N G term permanent solution. PLEASE HELP by telling me:)!

My DF = 100% used and I have 1.0GB of modules I can't get rid of because they are in the same kernel. Fix this fucking limitation, how fucking amateur can one make a product!? There is NO LOGICAL REASON, despite what crap the devs puke out of their keyboards, that this should be there. I have NOTHING i can remove from pve-root (as it ONLY BEEN CONTROLLED BY PROXMOX VE)

Code:
Errors were encountered while processing:
  pve-kernel-4.15.18-18-pve
  initramfs-tools
  zfs-initramfs
  pve-kernel-4.15
  proxmox-ve
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)
Code:
#df
upload_2019-7-25_12-37-21.png
Code:
 #ncdu -x
upload_2019-7-25_12-34-40.pngupload_2019-7-25_12-35-11.png
Just because it's a linux OS does not mean I should need to babysit it for freaking updates it doesn't have space to install on. I supplied it a 16GB SD-CARD for the O/S and wtf is it doing with it?!

I am sorry for the bitchy rant, I just don't have time to do this crap.

SD-Cards, USB dongle and SATDOM are not suitable for Proxmox VE - regardless of the size.

I've run proxmox on supermicro 16GB SATA DOM devices before without issue, BUT this was on relatively low utilization boxes. If you intend to run anything production quality you'd want to move swap and /var to more robust devices.

ran
Code:
 # dpkg --list | grep pve-kernel
then
Code:
apt purge pve-kernel-4.15.17-1-pve
and THIS time it was successful, even though the 2 reboots and attempts BEFORE this post it wasn't.

This allowed me to run 'apt upgrade'

The SDCARDs are provided by Dell with Raid 1. I understand the fastest possible is always recommended but it's outside of the point of this thread. Why is it limited, by default install, to 4GB on a 64bit install?

Please search the forum for details, this topic was discussed already multiple times.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!