End of life Debian 5.0 Lenny

We will offer as soon as 2.0 is stable a migration path from 1.9 to 2.0. and just to note, we do not use the Debian Kernel.

The kernel is one, but what about for example Apache, Postfix, and all other services that you guys aren't maintaining?

My main concern is not in fact the end of the official support. My servers are on rather safe network. Only some VMs are facing Internet, and they are all KVM, so rather isolated.
But my big concern is the migration path. There are two huge changes : Proxmox-ve 2.0, a completly new API, new cluster system (corosync) etc..., and the migration to a new stable release of Debian at the same time.

I always thought it could be very hazardous. I hope I will be wrong...

I asked long time ago a migration in two steps. First, to some Proxmox 1.x (1.10 ?) with an upgrade to Squeeze. Next, an upgrade from 1.x (1.10...) to 2.0... And if it have been done early, it would have provided all the novelties of Squeeze (and the ability in my case to install Dell OMSA without a hitch).

Alain

alain

There is no obstacles to upgrade to Squeeze your Proxmox 1.9 installation right now. It will work without problems. I have tested this, and myself is working on ProxMox 1.9 / Squeeze for few months without visible issues.

The only thing to consider is to craft a stub package for grub1, as it is present in PVE kernel's dependencies.

this is a not supported way. I do not see any reason for "panic". official support will end, but as always, if major security issues occurs there will be fixes, also for Lenny after February.

But we will encourage all users to move to 2.0 - as soon as its stable.

Panic is a big word. I was just wondering whether you guys would be taking this date into account with an eye on 2.0.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!