Enable Qemu Guest Agent?

Afox

Renowned Member
Dec 18, 2014
Hello,
do you recommend enabling the Qemu Guest Agent for a qcow2 drive on an ext4 local storage?

I read here that a similar mechanism is already applied
During backup, writes are redirected to the new image, so the old image represents a 'snapshot'. After backup, data need to be copied back from new image into the old one (commit).

I am also interested about how an user visiting a website on this VM would expirience the freeze by the Guest Agent.

Thanks in advance,

Afox

do you recommend enabling the Qemu Guest Agent for a qcow2 drive on an ext4 local storage?
you can only enable qemu-guest-agent for a whole vm

what is does is described here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

it can only make things better :)

I am also interested about how an user visiting a website on this VM would expirience the freeze by the Guest Agent.
depends on the backup mode, snapshot would probably only be a very short freeze, suspend would loose the connection to novnc, and with stop the vm will be shut down

Reactions: shantanu
hello, thank you for the answer. I want to use it to improve snapshot-backups. I was wondering if the freeze with the agent would be longer than without.

Regards

hello, thank you for the answer. I want to use it to improve snapshot-backups. I was wondering if the freeze with the agent would be longer than without.

Easy answer: It depends :-D

You can hook into the agent to do more stuff, so it could take longer.

You can always test for yourself if you ping, e.g. every 100 ms and then run a backup. You can see when it is snapshotted and also if you would to a live migration. You will have a very, very smalls deviation of the ping response or rtt.

Reactions: pablopol24
sorry I don´t understand your answer. I was talking about the backup-mode "snapshot".

Regards

Why isn't there still any response on this by the proxmox team?

What does the function "Run guest-trim after clone disk" do?

Hi,
thanks to @aaron there is now documentation for this. It's been applied last week in git and should be out with the next pve-doc package.

Here is the relevant part:
Code:
It is possible to enable the 'Run guest-trim' option. With this enabled,
{pve} will issue a trim command to the guest after the following
operations that have the potential to write out zeros to the storage:

* moving a disk to another storage
* live migrating a VM to another node with local storage

On a thin provisioned storage, this can help to free up unused space.

Why isn't there still any response on this by the proxmox team?
Because we aren't that many people and can't keep track of every single forum thread.

Reactions: jsabater
Is there a way to enable it by default? My users are often forgets to enable it and gets confused.

Hi,
Is there a way to enable it by default? My users are often forgets to enable it and gets confused.
not really, because you also have to install it in the guest first. But, depending on how homogeneous your VMs are, you can create VM templates that have the guest agent already installed and configured. And if you clone new VMs off of those templates, they should still have the guest agent settings you configured.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!