Enable Qemu Guest Agent?

Afox

Dec 18, 2014
Hello,
do you recommend enabling the Qemu Guest Agent for a qcow2 drive on an ext4 local storage?

I read here that a similar mechanism is already applied
During backup, writes are redirected to the new image, so the old image represents a 'snapshot'. After backup, data need to be copied back from new image into the old one (commit).

I am also interested about how an user visiting a website on this VM would expirience the freeze by the Guest Agent.

Thanks in advance,

Afox

dcsapak

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Feb 1, 2016
Vienna
do you recommend enabling the Qemu Guest Agent for a qcow2 drive on an ext4 local storage?
you can only enable qemu-guest-agent for a whole vm

what is does is described here:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent

it can only make things better :)

I am also interested about how an user visiting a website on this VM would expirience the freeze by the Guest Agent.
depends on the backup mode, snapshot would probably only be a very short freeze, suspend would loose the connection to novnc, and with stop the vm will be shut down

Reactions: shantanu

Afox

Dec 18, 2014
hello, thank you for the answer. I want to use it to improve snapshot-backups. I was wondering if the freeze with the agent would be longer than without.

Regards

LnxBil

Famous Member
Feb 21, 2015
Germany
hello, thank you for the answer. I want to use it to improve snapshot-backups. I was wondering if the freeze with the agent would be longer than without.

Easy answer: It depends :-D

You can hook into the agent to do more stuff, so it could take longer.

You can always test for yourself if you ping, e.g. every 100 ms and then run a backup. You can see when it is snapshotted and also if you would to a live migration. You will have a very, very smalls deviation of the ping response or rtt.

Reactions: pablopol24

Afox

Dec 18, 2014
sorry I don´t understand your answer. I was talking about the backup-mode "snapshot".

Regards

LnxBil

Famous Member
Feb 21, 2015
Germany
I answered to the last sentence only about the qemu agent and the time it takes to freeze/thaw.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!