Enable AVX

thomasddiego

Dec 17, 2021
Good morning,

I have a server with Proxmox VE 7.1-7, with all the updates applied, on it I have a VM with Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS, which is a customized operating system where a Bit Defender antivirus system runs with MongoDB 4.4.4, I have to do an update and before that the message appears: AVX instructions were not detected on at least one of your database appliances. To update GravityZone, make sure the hardware is compatible and AVX instructions are enabled.

The processor of the physical server where the VM is installed is the Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5630 and the VM has the processor in the Default option which is kvm64, but then I tested turning it off and changing it to other options, such as SandyDBridge, Host, qemu64, but all tests failed.

Can anyone tell me how to resolve this and enable AVX?

Usually the solution is to set as host as CPU or create a new virtual CPU by enabling the avx and avx2 flag (but this last solution never worked for me), but the processor you have doesn't have AVX instructions, I don't think you can virtualize them.

I found this post, but the response was not very clear: "..to set as host as CPU or create a new virtual CPU by enabling the avx and avx2 flag"

I am using Proxmox 8.0.4 enterprise via 3 nodes using INTEL CPUs (Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630, Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470, and CPU E5-2667 v2). On the Virtual Guest running Graylog-core, I enabled the CPU type to be SandyBridge. When I restarted the guest after making this change, MongoDB Database Server (service) started. I am using version 6.0.8 of Mongodb - community edition (for Graylog Core 5 - community edition)
(picture attached)
1692280447019.png

even this thread had issues: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/feature-suggestion-avx-avx2-cpu-flags.114688/

Hope this post helps.

I found this post, but the response was not very clear: "..to set as host as CPU or create a new virtual CPU by enabling the avx and avx2 flag"

I am using Proxmox 8.0.4 enterprise via 3 nodes using INTEL CPUs (Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630, Xeon(R) CPU E5-2470, and CPU E5-2667 v2). On the Virtual Guest running Graylog-core, I enabled the CPU type to be SandyBridge. When I restarted the guest after making this change, MongoDB Database Server (service) started. I am using version 6.0.8 of Mongodb - community edition (for Graylog Core 5 - community edition)
(picture attached)
View attachment 54368

even this thread had issues: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/feature-suggestion-avx-avx2-cpu-flags.114688/

Hope this post helps.
It works on k8s with those changes, thanks.

Reactions: proxdang

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!