DRBD9 daemon not started at startup

jasminj

Sep 27, 2014
Vienna 19
jasmin.anw.at
Hi!

I am playing with Proxmox 4.3 and DRDB9.
I followed this guide, because it explains how to setup DRDB (8.x) on top of a physical disk (I don't want to use it on top of LVM). I did install "drbd-utils", because Proxmox 4.3 comes with DRDB9.

I was able to configure DRBD9 correctly and it is running and synchronized.
But after rebooting the server, the daemon wasn't started automatically.
I did it with "/etc/init.d/drbd start" ("drbdadm up <resource>|all" does it start also).

In /etc/init.d/drbd there is no runlevel defined in "Default-Start:", so it is never started by the init process and even "update-rc.d drbd defaults" didn't change something.

My question is now, who should start this service in Proxmox 4.3?

BR,
Jasmin

I explained in this post, why I am using DRDB9 the "old way", with DRDB9 direct on a disk and a LVM storage on top of it.
Maybe someone can point in the right direction how to activate the DRDB9 daemons at startup.
BR,
Jasmin

In the meantime I learned that DRBD9 is a Kernel module and no daemon.

But just after reboot I get:
root@xxx:/etc/lvm# drbdsetup status --verbose --statistics
# No currently configured DRBD found.​
Then I do:
root@xxx:/etc/lvm# drbdadm up vm_disk​
And then DRBD is present (/dev/drbdX device existing).

So again my question, which software needs to do "drbdadm up .." ?
How should this be done in Proxmox 4.3?

BR,
Jasmin

please consider the following
Yes, I knew this already and I even answered to that thread.

But I don't use drdbmanage. I am using the method with LVM as storage on top of DRBD9 ("the old way") and this was working in Proxmox 3.x.
The only thing I would like to know is, how "drbdadm up .." was done there, because it seems to be done now with "drdbmanage" (4.3 Version).

I already asked the question to the DRBD mailing list and they don't know how Proxmox does the DRBD9 activation.
Even if Proxmox doesn't support DRBD9 in the future, there was a possibility/process to do this in a former version of Proxmox. I only want to know how this was done. And yes, I will implement it on my own on my test machine if Proxmox doesn't do this anymore.

BR,
Jasmin

No this doesn't work, as I already stated in my initial post:
In /etc/init.d/drbd there is no runlevel defined in "Default-Start:", so it is never started by the init process
and even "update-rc.d drbd defaults" didn't change something.
You are right, sorry for not checking that out in the first place.
Thats an odd init scipt header, but maybe someone fears hidden dependencies on wide area replication (VPN, ...).

But ...
Code:
update-rc.d drbd enable 2
update-rc.d drbd enable 3
... might do the job then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!