DRBD recovery issue...

Robstarusa

Renowned Member
Feb 19, 2009
Hello everyone,

I hope this is an easy fix. I just recently upgraded from Promox VE 1.9 to 2.2 I've also switched from a single box to a cluster configuration. When i say "upgraded" that means "back up all vms and install fresh & restore vms"

The cluster shares disks via shared LVM+DRBD replication in a dual "primary" configuration.

Here is how it looks:

Machine "vm":
Phenom 2 x4 965
64GB ssd = boot
raid 1 of 2 * 500G sata = lun1 (mdadm) "vm_primary" (drbd resource)
raid 1 of 2 * 500G sata = lun2 (mdadm) "vm2_primary" (drbd resource)

Machine "vm2":
Core 2 Duo E8400
raid 10 of 4 * 73G 10k raptor = lun1 (mdam) "vm_primary" (drbd resource)
raid 10 of 8 * 73G 10k raptor = lun2 (sata 300-8xlp) "vm2_primary" (drbd resource)

The 500G raid 1 luns were actually partitioned to match the exact size of the luns that are composed of the 73G disks. (the 500G drives have a lot of unpartitioned space).

Everything was working fantastically until I went to upgrade the cpu in vm2.

All vms that normally run on vm are on "vm_primary". All vms that normally run on vm2 are on "vm2_primary".

Everything was working great -- migration, replication, etc.

I then decided to upgrade the cpu in vm2 to a Xeon X3330 (the board is a server chipset board).

First: I hot-migrated all the vms from vm2 (on vm2_primary) to vm. No issues. Then in the GUI, I select vm2 and did a "shutdown".

After the machine shut down, I opened it up & swapped the CPU. I let the machine sit in the bios ifor about 15 minutes & the warmest temperature I saw was 36c.

After I booted it back up, the machine started to boot & got to the point of creating the bridging interfaces & then spontaneously rebooted (or so it seemed).

I decided to run a memory test on the box and went back to my desktop to do some googling -- when i found this in my e-mail:

===
Due to an emergency condition, DRBD is about to issue a reboot
of node vm2. If this is unintended, please check
your DRBD configuration file (/etc/drbd.conf).
===

and also 2 of these:

===
DRBD has detected that the resource vm2_primary
on vm2 has lost access to its backing device,
and has also lost connection to its peer, vm.
This resource now no longer has access to valid data.
===

Does anyone have any idea how to 1) Get vm2 started without it auto-rebooting so I can attempt to see what is going on ? 2) Why it's auto rebooting?

for 1) My ideas are: a) Try to boot without the nics connected b) boot in single user mode & edit stuff manually there (but what to edit? Disable drbd at startup with update-rc.d?)

vm2_primary is the hardware raid lun and it appears fine during post when the raid controller goes through it's bios....I don't know why the system wouldn't be able to see it after a cpu upgrade.

Any suggestions you guys have are appreciated. I'm fairly Linux proficient and have no qualms about using the CLI extensively. If I can actually get vm2 started, I'll just discard all the data & re-sync sine I know all the data on vm (both luns) is good as that is where all the vms are running currently.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I hope this is an easy fix. I just recently upgraded from Promox VE 1.9 to 2.2 I've also switched from a single box to a cluster configuration. When i say "upgraded" that means "back up all vms and install fresh & restore vms"

The cluster shares disks via shared LVM+DRBD replication in a dual "primary" configuration.

Here is how it looks:

Machine "vm":
Phenom 2 x4 965
64GB ssd = boot
raid 1 of 2 * 500G sata = lun1 (mdadm) "vm_primary" (drbd resource)
raid 1 of 2 * 500G sata = lun2 (mdadm) "vm2_primary" (drbd resource)

Machine "vm2":
Core 2 Duo E8400
raid 10 of 4 * 73G 10k raptor = lun1 (mdam) "vm_primary" (drbd resource)
raid 10 of 8 * 73G 10k raptor = lun2 (sata 300-8xlp) "vm2_primary" (drbd resource)

The 500G raid 1 luns were actually partitioned to match the exact size of the luns that are composed of the 73G disks. (the 500G drives have a lot of unpartitioned space).

Everything was working fantastically until I went to upgrade the cpu in vm2.

All vms that normally run on vm are on "vm_primary". All vms that normally run on vm2 are on "vm2_primary".

Everything was working great -- migration, replication, etc.

I then decided to upgrade the cpu in vm2 to a Xeon X3330 (the board is a server chipset board).

First: I hot-migrated all the vms from vm2 (on vm2_primary) to vm. No issues. Then in the GUI, I select vm2 and did a "shutdown".

After the machine shut down, I opened it up & swapped the CPU. I let the machine sit in the bios ifor about 15 minutes & the warmest temperature I saw was 36c.

After I booted it back up, the machine started to boot & got to the point of creating the bridging interfaces & then spontaneously rebooted (or so it seemed).

I decided to run a memory test on the box and went back to my desktop to do some googling -- when i found this in my e-mail:

===
Due to an emergency condition, DRBD is about to issue a reboot
of node vm2. If this is unintended, please check
your DRBD configuration file (/etc/drbd.conf).
===

and also 2 of these:

===
DRBD has detected that the resource vm2_primary
on vm2 has lost access to its backing device,
and has also lost connection to its peer, vm.
This resource now no longer has access to valid data.
===

Does anyone have any idea how to 1) Get vm2 started without it auto-rebooting so I can attempt to see what is going on ? 2) Why it's auto rebooting?

for 1) My ideas are: a) Try to boot without the nics connected b) boot in single user mode & edit stuff manually there (but what to edit? Disable drbd at startup with update-rc.d?)

vm2_primary is the hardware raid lun and it appears fine during post when the raid controller goes through it's bios....I don't know why the system wouldn't be able to see it after a cpu upgrade.

Any suggestions you guys have are appreciated. I'm fairly Linux proficient and have no qualms about using the CLI extensively. If I can actually get vm2 started, I'll just discard all the data & re-sync sine I know all the data on vm (both luns) is good as that is where all the vms are running currently.
Hi,
how looks your drbd-config?
It's look that you enabled handlers like
Code:
pri-on-incon-degr "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-pri-on-incon-degr.sh; /usr/lib/drbd/notify-emergency-reboot.sh; echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; reboot -f";
uncommend all these handlers in /etc/drbd.d/global_common.conf or where you configured this.

After this reboot and look if the networkconnection is ok (i guess device-renaming - don't know why this should happens during cpu-change).
If the nics was renamed change the right naming in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

To solve the split-brain, do an "vgchange -a n vg-name" with both VGs on the host with the new CPU and after that
Code:
drbdadm secondary r0
drbdadm -- --discard-my-data connect r0
and on the active node "drbdadm connect r0" - the same with r1.
After that "drbd primary" and "vgchange -a y" and you are back!

Udo

Hey Udo, thanks for the help.

Booting in single user mode showed the raid drive STILL as sda, so the "diskless" was only a symptom. The drive changing letters wasn't the cause. What _was_ the cause was lvm grabbing it before drbd. I fixed this by updating my filter to include "r|/dev/sda1|" in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf

I did comment those out (on both nodes) while I fixed things. Should I leave them commented out? After fixing that and resolving some drbd issues with "disard-my-data" to resync, things seem to be better.

I think for safety'ss sake I'm going to leave them in primary/secondary mode on each server UNTIL/UNLESS I need to migrate them. I'm assuming this shouldn't cause any issues unless I forget & try to do a migrate. Obviously in primary/secondary lvm doesn't see block devices that are in secondary mode.

Question> I know you guys don't officially "support" mdadm, but what happens if a drbd lun is "uptodate" but the underlying block device is an mdraid (or even a physical raid) that decides it wants to resync & changes data? Are these changes "passed" to drbd (does drbd notice them) & replicated? I'm guessing "no" since it sits at a level lower than drbd. I had this happen after everything was uptodate/uptodate primary/primary in drbd & it scared me to death! The mdadm resync was happening on vm2 and the block device was vm_primary (which vm2 didn't have any vms on!). I did a drbdadm verify (after adding the appropriate line to "syncer" config for both resources) and it showed 40G or so that didn't match. I let the mdadm resync finish & then discarded the drbd data on top of it.

Does DRBD have any protection against this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!