drbd ... again and again

xrisse

hi @all

i want to use drbd to share the content of /var/lib/vz between two cluster-nodes. i hope this is the right way for manualy failover. i can life with a few minutes of downtime if one node crashes. fact is, that if a node crashes, the files of the vms on it are gone, isn't it?
or are there other ways to keep all virtual machines on both nodes, but runnding them distributed?

or should i set up a second datastore and rsync all files periodically?

any hints? any ideas?

sorry for my bad english ;-)

hi @all

i want to use drbd to share the content of /var/lib/vz between two cluster-nodes. i hope this is the right way for manualy failover. i can life with a few minutes of downtime if one node crashes. fact is, that if a node crashes, the files of the vms on it are gone, isn't it?
or are there other ways to keep all virtual machines on both nodes, but runnding them distributed?

or should i set up a second datastore and rsync all files periodically?

any hints? any ideas?

sorry for my bad english ;-)

its not that simple. you can expect better DRBD integration in Proxmox VE in 2010, in the meantime you need to configure it manually. If you have no advanced experience in DRBD I highly suggest you look for DRBD commercial support services.

its not that simple. you can expect better DRBD integration in Proxmox VE in 2010, in the meantime you need to configure it manually. If you have no advanced experience in DRBD I highly suggest you look for DRBD commercial support services.

in 2010? that is too long for me!

i've some experience with drbd, but my problem is the missing experience with proxmox ve i think.
it''s not a problem to set up primary/primary drbd, but what happens when i migrate a vm from node1 to node2? proxmox will copy the config and disk, but with drbd, these files are already there. and proxmox will delete files on the source node after migration.

in 2010? that is too long for me!

i've some experience with drbd, but my problem is the missing experience with proxmox ve i think.
it''s not a problem to set up primary/primary drbd, but what happens when i migrate a vm from node1 to node2? proxmox will copy the config and disk, but with drbd, these files are already there. and proxmox will delete files on the source node after migration.

in 2010, we plan to have a "plug´n´play" solution, all integrated.

But we will release in August this year the first beta of the new storage model, based on this it will be easier to integrate DRBD and also pacemaker so I suggest you wait for this major step to go further.

that sounds very good! do you need some help?

as soon as available, take the beta and give feedback here. if you have something to share, provide documentation and howto for manually configuring DRBD or other useful staff.

you want some docs? okay, here is a howto which helped me setting up a xen-cluster:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/heartbeat2-xen-cluster-with-drbd8-and-ocfs2.html
my boss don't want to publish our xen-cluster docs, so i can only search ne net for you :-/

Thanks for the link put common xen howtos are not what I meant and does not cover the Proxmox VE specific issues we are talking about.

If you want to contribute to Proxmox VE test the upcoming releases, report issues and help in documentation (forum and wiki).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!