Dont have network access on virtual hosts

E

_El_Chojin_

Hi:
I have installed proxmox from the iso image, i have created a virtual machine, installed all.

On the proxmox i have added:
ip route add IP_OF_VIRTUAL_HOST dev vmbr0

And after when i set up the ip on the virtual host i dont have net, i have tried different netmasks like the same netmask of the proxmox server, i have tried 255.255.255.255 and nothing seems to work.

Anyone can say what i can do.

Thanks.

Hi:
I have solved the problem but dont works very good, i explain.
I have a ip for de host and a second and third ip for each virtual machine.
On virtual machine i need to use the ip of the host for the gateway.
And i have activated: net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

I have net on each virtual machine, i have update and installed on it some services like apache, ftp, etc the problem is when i want to move things from one virtual machine to the other, after maeby 30 seconds, the virtual machine (destination) lost the connection, i connect through the proxmox vnc, i login and if i make a ping to outsite ip i get the error:

FROM IP_OF_VM icmp_sec=1 Destination host unreachable

UPDATE: I was trying to download a backup from old server(is no the other virtual machin) (1.3Gb) and loosed connection on virtual machine so i think that is not only copying files from one virtual machine to other, i have asked to the company and they said that they are not blocking any traffic, that may be a problem on proxmox.

Thanks.

If i make a ping to the gateway i dont get answer

Last edited by a moderator:
Copying from one vm to other loose connection, from internet i only have loosed 2 times, i dont know where is the problem, maeby a staff member could help, will be very useful to solve this loose connections.

Today i have loosed the network connection on one of the 2 vm, i have tried to connect throught the vnc of proxmox interface but didn't accesed, only a black screen appeared, i needed to stop and restart virtual machine. I dont know why happends this of loose network connection.

This indicates your operating system has hung inside your VM.

When you connect to the VNC console via the web interface, this is actually a VNC interface to the virtual machine's virtual VGA/keyboard/mouse hardware. If the OS has hung it was probably in some kind of screensaver mode (blank screen) when it became nonresponsive, so when you VNC in all you see is a blank black screen.

It would help if you'd clarify what OS is this, are these KVM virtual machines, are they OpenVZ or what? What network driver are you using? I've had best luck with the virtual "e1000" driver.

Last edited:
Hi:
The guest OS is Debian5, without any desktop, only minimum + ssh server + apache anything else.
I'm using KVM, and i'm using the default network driver, i did'nt touch anything.

Any reason you are using KVM instead of an OpenVZ container?

Try changing the network driver to e1000 instead of the default realtek8139. I've had better luck with the stability of the e1000 virtual driver with Windows and FreeBSD guests.

You might also try some googling around for general Linux inside KVM issues, your problem is rather unlikely to be specific to Proxmox VE.

im instaled a guest with debian lenny 32 bits.
staff guys of isp provider installed to me a proxmox 1.2 and before i upgraded to 1.3 with dist-upgrade.

realtek card, scsi disk

dhcp gets a strange ip 10.x.x.x before im changed to external valid internet ip address and anyting as working.

at my local tests all works. on 1.2 i no have any idea about im put gateway, ip and mask correct and no have networks i try remove network persistent rules on udev and not work too.

i think proxmox to my prodution enviroment. infortuny network not working :(
if im no resolve this issue i take back to a normal machine without virtualization.

any solution for this?

Regards.

Hello,

I didn't understand what you said very well, but it just sounds like you need to configure your network correctly. Perhaps you need to setup bridging and a static IP address instead of NAT. Or if you're using OpenVZ like you should be (not KVM) for a Debian Linux VM, you should use venet and use a Debian OpenVZ template which will configure its own venet interface with the IP address you assign while initially setting the VM up.

My machine is installed by remote guys from my data center host.

Im stay for compare remote instalation with my local copy of proxmox everyting is the same. exept for one thing! vmbr0 configuration is droped.
and eth0 is configured to replace it by staff guys.

it´s simple to resolve it im looking for /etc/network/interfaces on my local machine and compared it with remote interfaces file. replaced eth0 by vmbr0 and all worked again.

Before changes the file im rebooted machine and vmbr0 show again on web admin interface.

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address <<YOUR IP>>
netmask <<YOUR MASK>>
gateway <<YOUR GATEWAY>>
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

If any have the same problem looking first at your interfaces file if vmbr0 is present.

Im back on forun just to explain my solution to this case and it´s can be useful for another user with the same problem.

Now i will start build my virtual machines. :p

Any reason you are using KVM instead of an OpenVZ container?

Try changing the network driver to e1000 instead of the default realtek8139. I've had better luck with the stability of the e1000 virtual driver with Windows and FreeBSD guests.

You might also try some googling around for general Linux inside KVM issues, your problem is rather unlikely to be specific to Proxmox VE.

I'm using KVM because the other virtual machine is a Windows, i don't know how to configure the network with OpenVZ, or here i could download the template, and on the previous server i have installed proxmox, this freezes didn't happened (i was using debian 32bits instead of 64 bits, maeby is the 64 bits that crashes, because now when machines dont answer i think is because machines freezes, dont loose connection, because when only loose connection i can login by the proxmox vnc, but now when freezes i cant connect, so i think that crash the linux) but i dont know which logs i could see to verify it.

Thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!