Does ZFS use always such 'high' RAM

pos-sudo

Jun 13, 2021
Dear,

I installed proxmox on a dedicated server with 128Gb RAM. After a couple days a saw that my RAM was filled over 60% (almost 70%) with only 3 VMS each 4GB. Therefore I was searching on the internet and read that ZFS uses 'free' RAM to cache. I was wondering if this is a static behaviour from ZFS? Will I be in trouble if I want more VM's or will ZFS reduce the amount of RAM when I need more for my (new) VMS.

Thanks in advanced.

Kind regards,

By default ZFS is using from 1GB up to 50% of your hosts RAM for caching. Under normal circumstances ZFSs ARC will shrink if the host needs the RAM for something else.

Reactions: pos-sudo
By default ZFS is using from 1GB up to 50% of your hosts RAM for caching. Under normal circumstances ZFSs ARC will shrink if the host needs the RAM for something else.
Hi, thank you for your reply, I'm glad to hear that :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!