Docker-Machine driver for Proxmox

The docker-machine kvm plugin can help, have not tested, but is possible and more people to maintain:

/dhiltgen/docker-machine-kvm

on github (I cannot post links)

Little progress, I discovered that there are multiple proxmox go libraries, I have to try and write tests for. I just talked about the next steps with a coworker, so it is still not out of our heads.

The crowdfunding idea ... same there. If we would have time for that, we would also have time to code :-D

Reactions: rafafell
@LnxBil
Good idea.. Don't have any ideas how long it takes / how much it takes to develop this. But we are involved if it happens!

Hi LnxBil, you say on your github project is complete and it works for you...
GitLab has the ability to use docker-machine to start C.I. tests. Do you think your driver would work with GitLab to connect it to ProxMox instead of kubernetes? This would be quite cool as you could commit to GitLab and have a docker-machine VM started automatically on your ProxMox cluster.

I'd think that deploying a Kubernetes on Docker setup with docker-machine on PVE could also solve this issue. I'm also interested in running GitLab with Kubernetes on my PVE, but haven't thought it through or tried it out yet.

I already use the gitlab-runner with docker that has been manually deployed as VM in PVE (Debian+Docker), so this can be done manually. I do not see the benefit of redeploying the Docker with gitlab-runner every time a CI starts, just running the container is fine and does normalls run as DinD, so you can do whatever you like inside of the Docker VM without compromising the outside Docker instance.

Reactions: pietrushnic
@LnxBil, thank you for you work around Proxmox VE docker-machine driver. I wonder what are the further plans for that project.

I played with it little bit and have to say it mostly work fine. One limitation that I faced is lack of persistent data support in boot2docker image - I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but AFAIK /lib/var/docker and /lib/var/boot2docker shoudl be persistent and those are not. After VM reboot I have no certificates and of course some other data that I need for my applications are not available. Any idea how to address that issue?

Ok, I just realized that docker-machine has no big future and they move project into maintenance mode. They suggest infrakit as next generation deployment infrastructure. If anyone has ideas how infrakit can provide the same set of services as docker-machine + Proxmox VE driver please let me know.

Ok, I just realized that docker-machine has no big future and they move project into maintenance mode.

You could also go with rancherOS or some other Linux distro. Some older machines require docker-machine, e.g. 2009 iMac 27'' which does not support native Docker on MacOS.

I wonder what are the further plans for that project.

One thing would also be the integration of cloudinit.

Yes, I submitted issues about Rancher OS and also discussing things with Rancher OS developers. First thing was that by default qemu-guest-agent is not enabled by default - it is pretty easy to fix that. Now issue is that its not starting by default and also Proxmox VE driver has some problems with ssh which I reported on Github.

I plan to spend some time on development of Proxmox VE driver so it can support VM provisioning up to operational point. Ideally would be if it would work as presented in Rancher OS documentation.

In terms of cloud-init - do you think it make sense to use it in Proxmox VE driver? I'm not expert in that area so I'm not sure if it can be leveraged for remote/API based VM provisioning.

I plan to spend some time on development of Proxmox VE driver so it can support VM provisioning up to operational point. Ideally would be if it would work as presented in Rancher OS documentation.

Yes, the problem is that the agent is not active by default. After building a new iso image it, worked as expected - same as with boot2docker. With those images, I can provisition to an operational point. Therefore I "stopped" developing further, because every outstanding problem lies in the provided iso image. Without support from the to-be-run Docker-flavor, you cannot do anything else.

In terms of cloud-init - do you think it make sense to use it in Proxmox VE driver? I'm not expert in that area so I'm not sure if it can be leveraged for remote/API based VM provisioning.

The QEmu part is obsolet if you use cloudinit (and the distro itself does use it). You can set IP and username/password, so docker-machine is simpler.

Yes, the problem is that the agent is not active by default. After building a new iso image it, worked as expected - same as with boot2docker. With those images, I can provisition to an operational point. Therefore I "stopped" developing further, because every outstanding problem lies in the provided iso image. Without support from the to-be-run Docker-flavor, you cannot do anything else.

Hmm, I have different results as I reported on Github. I have agent service enabled, but it doesn't start at boot time I'm trying to figure out how to modify os-config.tpl.yml to start it by default. If you have config that can build iso with starting agent it would be great if you can share.

The QEmu part is obsolet if you use cloudinit (and the distro itself does use it). You can set IP and username/password, so docker-machine is simpler.

Ok, distro seem to support cloud init and because Proxmox VE 5.2 implements it also I fine with going that path too. My problem is that I'm not sure how to access it in different way then from Proxmox VE shell. I see some mailing list threads about HTTP API for cloudinit in Proxmox - so probably this is the way to move forward. Have you (or other members) have interest in docker-machine + cloud init HTTP API? I wonder if this is correct approach

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!