Do I NEED KVM support on the host machine?

BobbyVee

Nov 16, 2020
I'm new to all this so please assume I know nothing.
The objective is to install "Home Assistant" in a VM under Proxmox.
There are various images available, VMDK, VHDX, VDI, QCOW2, OVA but I had no idea which one was best suited so chose QCOW2.
I created the VM following various tutorials but when I attempted to start the VM I got a message saying KVM support wasn't found and to disable it - which I did. But I can't get any of these Home Assistant VM installations to work.
My host machine is an Intel NUC (Shuttle xs36V). I looked into the BIOS and can find no mention of KVM so assume it's just too old or basic. Proxmox installed fine and appears happy.
So, my nubee question is, in the absence of KVM support in the hardware, should Proxmox emulate it or am I flogging a dead horse with my present hardware?

I looked into the BIOS and can find no mention of KVM so assume it's just too old or basic.
what cpu do you have?
sometimes it is named vt-x or 'virtualization' support

in general: you can go ahead without kvm support, but in that case vms will be *very* slow but you can run containers normally

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!