Do I need extra IPs?

dominique120

Feb 28, 2014
This is my proposed setup using OpenVZ containers (hosted on Proxmox): CT 1: MySQL and nginx. Hosts all databases and multiple websites(domains). Used ports are 80, 443, 3306, 8080 CT 2, 3, 4: These host special servers that all listen on ports 7171 and 7172. They also connect to CT1 for their databases. To connect to the websites, people use exampledomain1.com, exampledomain2.com and so on To connect to the servers in CTs 2, 3 and 4 people use login.exampledomain1.com:7171 and so on (once authenticated the client switches to port 7172) MySQL listens on mysql.exampledomain9.com So would it be best to get extra IPs for this configuration? How many would I need(maybe one per domain?)?

So exampledomain1.com & exampledomain2.com resolve to CT1 and login.exampledomain1.com resolves to CT2 etc? I'd figure you'd need WAN IP addresses for all CT's unless you're behind a NAT?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

login.exampledomain1.com login.exampledomain2.com login.exampledomain3.com subdomains resolve to CTs 2 3 and 4 the regular domains all point to CT1

login.exampledomain1.com login.exampledomain2.com login.exampledomain3.com subdomains resolve to CTs 2 3 and 4 the regular domains all point to CT1

- if your CTs are not behind some NAT, with that setup you need at lest 1 WAN IP per CT.
- with NAT, you could use just 1 WAN IP (eg: using an http reverse proxy)

Marco

- if your CTs are not behind some NAT, with that setup you need at lest 1 WAN IP per CT. - with NAT, you could use just 1 WAN IP (eg: using an http reverse proxy) Marco
This is on a dedicated server from OVH. I dont know if its on NAT. Would this reverse proxy setup be complicated?

ovh.nl? So you're Dutch as well? Anyway I'll continue in English.
You probably got a single WAN IP with your dedicated machine. I doubt if you got NAT unless your dedicated machine is behind a dedicated router. In that case you wouldn't be able to setup a reverse proxy. The only solution in this case is to get some extra IP addresses from Ovh and add them to your CT2-4+ or have OVH place a dedicated router for you in which case you could NAT forward port 7071/2/3 to CT 2/3/4

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

Would this reverse proxy setup be complicated?
Hi,
no - pound is easy to install/configure...
Code:
apt-get install pound
man pound
You can use internal IPs for your guest and use pound on the host for forwarding the right domains to the right web-servers.

But what is on port 7171 and 7172? pound is only an http reverse proxy...

Udo

Seems like I'll need extra IPs, its not a problem since they are very cheap(2 eur/ip). Thanks guys.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!