DNS Problem (i guess?)

OtrayBalla

Aug 15, 2024
Hi,

So i've just freshly setup proxmox (ver. 8.2.2) and setup 2 lxc containers (Nextcloud & Paperless).
Out of the box everything works like a charm, i even installed tailscale directly in the lxc container and worked wonderful until i noticed somehow can't access Web Gui of nor Proxmox, Nextcloud or Paperless anymore. I still can ping, ssh into it but not reach it per gui.

After a restart everything works for a bit again and than it goes back to the above state.

I also made sure that the static ip of Proxmox is outside of my dhcp range on my router.

Appreciate any help,
Thanks

Are you trying to reach the proxmox-interface via the ip or the name when it doesn't work?
If by IP: Then it isn't a DNS-issue
If by Name: Try IP, if it then does work it might be DNS, yes, else not.

Since you can stil log on via SSH, can you run the following commands:
Code:
systemctl status pveproxy
systemctl status pvedaemon
systemctl status pve-firewall
curl -k -L https://127.0.0.1:8006 | grep '<title>'
(No need to change IP in that last command btw, although re-testing it with the "LAN" IP should give the same results)

Last edited:
Are you trying to reach the proxmox-interface via the ip or the name when it doesn't work?

Code:
(No need to change IP in that last command btw, although re-testing it with the "LAN" IP should give the same results)
So actually i tried reaching by ip, the services are all running and the curl command returns
Code:
% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  2480  100  2480    0     0   321k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  345k
    <title>pve - Proxmox Virtual Environment</title>

Code:
The Curl Cmd with the lan address returns the following:
Code:
% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  2480  100  2480    0     0  87843      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 88571
    <title>pve - Proxmox Virtual Environment</title>

So the server is at least presenting the network-page on the IP, so if you can't reach it from your other device, the next suspects would be firewalls or something on the device itself.
Since a reboot works, a firewall-setting is unlikely, so a device-issue is a bit more likely.
Have you tried trying to access the page from for example your phone?

And if you restart just the pveproxy service, does it then work?

So the server is at least presenting the network-page on the IP, so if you can't reach it from your other device, the next suspects would be firewalls or something on the device itself.
Since a reboot works, a firewall-setting is unlikely, so a device-issue is a bit more likely.
Have you tried trying to access the page from for example your phone?

And if you restart just the pveproxy service, does it then work?
So actually i can reach it from the phone. I'm also pretty sure it is no firewall setting. I just restarted the setting and for now everything working as expected, but i will give an update soon.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!