DL385P Install and congif issues

Antwan

Nov 27, 2021
Hi all this is my first post so i hop iv put enough information here to get some help.

Iv recently picked up A dl385p server dual AMD Opteron's with a total of 16 cores and 128gb ram
Iv tried a few options to get proxmox installed with no joy.

Rufus - server didnt boot
Etcher - Server didnt boot
wintousb - loads install then errors out

I get an error saying to many cpus followed by a report regarding no iso found during the install after its done what looks to be a search about 3 times for the files i even tried starting with Debian and no joy. iv never had an issue installing proxmox before so im totally lost

Thanks in advance
Ant

I had issues with a DL380 Gen5 where it (when installing Debian ( i prefer to have control over how my disk-layout is done) and then moving from Debian to Proxmox as described on the PM Wiki)
due to missing drivers.
I then found a debian BootISO which already had those missing drivers in them ... just cannot find so quickly as to where i grabbed it from back then.

Since then i switched over to DL360Gen7 boxes, where on boot it also moans about too many cores ( 2x 12core cpu's), but it never stopped working.

Maybe you could try going from a pure Debian install to setup the box and then following the Wiki to move to proxmox (Install Proxmox VE on Debian 11 Bullseye)

Thanks for the reply, after roughly 18 hours of messing about and trying different distorts i decided to try another usb stick with etcher, and boom straight up it went! still got the cpu error but its up and running i can belive it both usb drives where 32gig san disks one smaller usb 2 and one larger usb 3, even though the server doesn't have usb 3 ut was the usb 3 driver that booted so iv no idea what that's about .

So from now on i know to try different usb drives as a first course

In you using an USB drive to install i am assuming you have not licensed the iLo functionality to mount an ISO remotely to the server ?

I in my situation have licensed them, and always use the iLo way of mounting ISO's remote to a/the server for use (and the remote console) of installing server.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!