Diskspace "incremental" backups

mhert

Jul 5, 2017
Good morning Users,

As i read in the forum the backup of proxmox is sliced to junks and only changed junks are saved by the follow-up backups.

I defined a backup job for a single vm to smb/cifs storage (NAS) and after three days i got a alarm from my storage that the
diskspace is filling up...

1658128544639.png

Is this a restriction of using smb/cifs? Is nfs the better choice?

Or has this to do with the retention settings?

1658128944193.png

Thanks in advance for clarification. ob

As i read in the forum the backup of proxmox is sliced to junks and only changed junks are saved by the follow-up backups.
This is true when you backup from Proxmox (PVE) to a separate Proxmox Backup Server (PBS) machine. PVE does not have a concept of incremental backups but PBS does reuse identical chunks so no data is stored more than once. Although you can install PBS on the same system as your PVE (or as a container or VM), you do need to install and configure PBS somewhere in your network before you can make use of all its nice features.

In other words: without pbs EVERY backup is saved as full backup?! (independently from backup destination and protocol/filesystem)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!