Disk space 0 used after OpenVZ migration

jarcher

Mar 15, 2009
Hi All...

I just migrated two VPSs from an OpenVZ box to ProxMox. It seemed to go very well. I stopped the VPS on the old server, used vzmigrate, changed the ORIGIN_SAMPLE line in the conf file and all seemed well.

I did notice however that the Proxmox UI thinks that the VPSs are using 0 disk space.

Is this normal or fixable?

Thanks...

Hi All...

I just migrated two VPSs from an OpenVZ box to ProxMox. It seemed to go very well. I stopped the VPS on the old server, used vzmigrate, changed the ORIGIN_SAMPLE line in the conf file and all seemed well.

I did notice however that the Proxmox UI thinks that the VPSs are using 0 disk space.

Is this normal or fixable?

Thanks...

pls adapt the diskspace setting on the web interface and click save (or just click save). better?

pls adapt the diskspace setting on the web interface and click save (or just click save). better?

Thanks, but that didn't help. The current disk space is still 0.00 int eh "virtual machine configuration" page. On the VPS list, with the three bar graphs, it is also still 0.

Thanks, but that didn't help. The current disk space is still 0.00 int eh "virtual machine configuration" page. On the VPS list, with the three bar graphs, it is also still 0.

do you have a standard Proxmox VE (installed from ISO, fully patched)? if not, what is changed?

post also the output of:
Code:
cat /etc/vz/conf/VMID.conf

Yes, Proxmox is installed from the ISO, but I have not applied any patches. I'll look up how to do that.

Here is your output, which I assume indicates a problem:

proxmox01:~# cat /etc/vz/conf/VMID.conf
cat: /etc/vz/conf/VMID.conf: No such file or directory
proxmox01:~# locate VMID.conf
proxmox01:~#

I did create a VPS from a template and it shows disk space usage correctly.

This is a new installation from yesterday, so there have been no changes.

Thank you!

I really should not do too man things at 3:30AM :(

Here is the proper dump you requested:

proxmox01:~# cat /etc/vz/conf/101.conf
# Copyright (C) 2000-2007 SWsoft. All rights reserved.
#
# This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
# it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
# but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
# GNU General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
# along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
# Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place, Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307 USA
#

VERSION="2"

ONBOOT="yes"

# UBC parameters (in form of barrier:limit)
# Primary parameters
AVNUMPROC="400:400"
NUMPROC="400:400"
NUMTCPSOCK="500:500"
NUMOTHERSOCK="500:500"
VMGUARPAGES="163840:9223372036854775807"
# Secondary parameters
KMEMSIZE="29824000:33145600"
TCPSNDBUF="5365760:10485760"
TCPRCVBUF="5365760:10485760"
OTHERSOCKBUF="1503232:4063232"
DGRAMRCVBUF="256000:256000"
OOMGUARPAGES="163840:9223372036854775807"
# Auxiliary parameters
LOCKEDPAGES="65536:65536"
SHMPAGES="131072:131072"
PRIVVMPAGES="163840:176340"
NUMFILE="35000:35000"
NUMFLOCK="200:220"
NUMPTY="64:64"
NUMSIGINFO="512:512"
DCACHESIZE="5760001:13440000"

PHYSPAGES="0:9223372036854775807"
NUMIPTENT="128:128"

# Disk quota parameters (in form of softlimit:hardlimit)
DISKSPACE="5242880:5767168"
DISKINODES="1000000:1100000"
QUOTATIME="0"

# CPU fair sheduler parameter
CPUUNITS="1000"
OFFLINE_MANAGEMENT="yes"
VE_ROOT="/mnt/compvps/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/mnt/compvps/vz/private/$VEID"
OSTEMPLATE="debian-3.1-x86_64-minimal"
#ORIGIN_SAMPLE="vps.c"
ORIGIN_SAMPLE="pve.auto"
HOSTNAME="nsp3.registrationtek.com"
IP_ADDRESS="72.46.65.29"
IP_ADDRESS="72.46.65.44"
NAMESERVER="72.46.127.4 72.46.65.30"
CPUS="1"
proxmox01:~#

Code:

We do not support such configurations. all data needs to be under /var/lib/vz/...

Code:
We do not support such configurations. all data needs to be under /var/lib/vz/...

Ah, okay, thank you very much. I stopped the VPS, copied the data to the proper location (preserving permissions) and changed the conf file to comment out those lines and added these:

VE_ROOT="/var/lib/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/var/lib/vz/private/$VEID"

I restarted, but the problem persists. I changed th allocated disk space and clicked save, with the VPS both running and not, but still no joy. Is there something else I should check?

I encountered this same issue during a migration from a legacy OpenVZ box to a Proxmox box. The old system had a partition /vz where everything was stored, so vzmigrate moves it to the same location on the proxmox system (which is incorrect).

Is there a way using vzmigrate to get the VE into the correct partition? I've got one VE that uses over 100GB of disk space so it won't even fit into /vz on the new system. I assume I could just stop the VE, rsync it to /var/lib/vz on the new system, copy the config over and be done?

Hello,

This just happened to me, 0 kb of disk usage after migrating, turns out I had no quota on the destination server, I enabled openvz quotas (DISK_QUOTA=yes) and restarted vz service, now I can see the disk usage.

I'm having a very similar problem with a native proxmox container. Except that for some reason the base system doesn't show up in the usage report. Right now proxmox is saying that one of my containers is using 167MB of 30GB, but a du report on / shows 14GB used.

Ah, okay, thank you very much. I stopped the VPS, copied the data to the proper location (preserving permissions) and changed the conf file to comment out those lines and added these:

VE_ROOT="/var/lib/vz/root/$VEID"
VE_PRIVATE="/var/lib/vz/private/$VEID"

Please remove those lines.

Except that for some reason the base system doesn't show up in the usage report.

what?

Right now proxmox is saying that one of my containers is using 167MB of 30GB, but a du report on / shows 14GB used.

Maybe the space is used by something else?

Actually, I re-examined the data on that vz container, and ~12GB is some old data from a FreeBSD jail (I rsync'd it over from within the container). But it's still bizarre that the proxmox VM page is showing it now only (As of this post) using 103MB of the 30GB set aside for it. None of my other containers are showing this type of discrepancy.

If I go into /var/lib/vz/root/<VMID> and do du -h --max-depth=1 it shows the 14GB of data in the VM, just like it did when I perform the command from / within the VM.

Any ideas on where to start looking to fix this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!