Disk resize failed and reset the VM

Jul 24, 2023
Hello,

I have resized the hard disk by 50 gb but got the following error:
Code:
TASK ERROR: VM 176 qmp command 'block_resize' failed - client closed connection
This is not the biggest problem, but that the VM was reset afterwards. Unfortunately, a mysql database also broke during the reset.

Before the first reset, there were still a few small changes to the VM pending. I then tested it again, but with the same error.
I didn't want to risk another test, because the VM is in productive use with us. I have therefore enabled the hard disk expansion via an additional disk and lvm. This worked without any problems. We use an nfs storage with a qcow image for the VM.
I also tested the resize on another VM on the same node but without any problems.

Any ideas how to get rid of this problem?

Best regards from stuttgart
Tux ;)

Hello,

during today's scheduled maintenance, the VM needs to be rebooted. I used this downtime to stop and restart the VM. After that, resizing worked again. I thought a ha-manager triggered start after the crash would have the same result, but it looks like something else happened during the restart and fixed the problem. Do you have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it properly?

Regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!