Disk option recommendation

domingosvarela

Apr 10, 2023
Angola
Hello,

I'm installing the new version for the first time on an HP server with 4 300G disks, I want to know the recommended option for using the disks, keep proxmox installed on a single disk and use the rest in poom zsf mode for the vms?
What option do you recommend?
Thanks

Best Regards

I guess those are 2.5" HDDs? In that case I would try to stripe as much disks as possible to sqeeze out every bit of IOPS performance you can get. So I would create a striped mirror (aka raid10) with those 4 disks and use that for PVE system + VM/LXC storage.

But don't expect great performance when using HDDs. You will primarily need IOPS performance and HDDs are really terrible at that. Have a look at the IO delay. If it gets too high you might want to replace the HDDs with a mirror of proper enterprise grade SSDs with power-loss protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: domingosvarela
I guess those are 2.5" HDDs? In that case I would try to stripe as much disks as possible to sqeeze out every bit of IOPS performance you can get. So I would create a striped mirror (aka raid10) with those 4 disks and use that for PVE system + VM/LXC storage.

But don't expect great performance when using HDDs. You will primarily need IOPS performance and HDDs are really terrible at that. Have a look at the IO delay. If it gets too high you might want to replace the HDDs with a mirror of proper enterprise grade SSDs with power-loss protection.
Hi Dunuin,
I have 6 not 4, sorry for mistake!
6x 300GB SAS 10K SFF SC DS HDD in a HPE DL380 Gen10.
I've been reading and found several recommendations that say to use the system and the vms on separate disks, as I don't have experience with proxmox I wanted to hear more opinions.

Can be useful in some situations, like for example destroying your ZFS pool storing the VMs to recreate it with more/bigger disk without needing to wipe the PVE system while doing that. But you usually want all IOPS performance you can get, when using HDDs and 6 disks in a raid10 wuold give you +50% better IOPS performance than 4 disks in raid10 for VMs and 2 disks in raid1 for the system.
~300 IOPS with a 4 10K HDD raid10
~450 IOPS with a 6 10K HDD raid10
1.5 Million IOPS with a raid1 of decent SSDs.
Just to give a comparison what performance levels you can expect. When your performance is that low, even 150 more IOPS can make a big difference.

Last edited:
in short I gain more advantages in performance and redundancy, but I lose in space using the 6 disks in raid10 in relation to the separation of the system and the VMs in two different raids.
@Duniun Thank you very much for the explanation and teachings.

Last edited:
in short I gain more advantages in performance and redundancy, but I lose in space using the 6 disks in raid10 in relation to the separation of the system and the VMs in two different raids.
No, with 6 disks in raid10 you get 900GB that VMs, PVE system and file storage for ISOs and so on can share.
With a 4 disk raid10 you get 600GB for VMs + 2 disk mirror you get 300GB for PVE system + files + VMs.
So in both cases you get 900GB.

Dunuin,

In that case, if I set up hardware raid using the included raid card with ext4 versus ZFS, would I gain more performance? considering running vms on HDDs!
Thanks

Depends on your priorities. ZFS is better for data integrity, portability and features. HW raid with BBU+cache will perform better.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!