disk move slow

micush

Renowned Member
Jul 18, 2015
Hi,

I've recently upgraded my network stack to 10 gig. I've added "migration_unsecure: 1" to /etc/pve/datacenter.cfg and now live migrations routinely see over 600MBps.

Writing directly from the hosts using dd to the nfs shared storage also sees 600MBps.

However, when clicking on the "move disk" button to move a disk image from one storage to another, I never go above 100MBps.

Can this be improved somehow? Everything else works as expected with the 10 gig network upgrade except for this one feature.

Regards,

micush

Do you have any connections between the servers running at 1Gbps?

I know there has been some improvements recently on LM to use a different network than vmbr0.

However not sure if same has been done for storage migrations, so if your default is 1Gbps your be hitting the bandwidth limit here.

There are no 1 gig links anywhere.

All other functions routinely exceed 500MBps.

are you talking about "move disk" while a VM is running or while the VM is offline? the latter uses "qemu-img convert", but the former uses qemu's "drive-mirror" functionality..

Offline the disk moves quite quickly.

Online it takes much longer.

As above online is a bit more than a move / copy command due to the VM being online and the current disk being read / write and changes having to be handled.

less performance for an online move is to be expected - it needs to copy the old data and keep track of changes and sync those as well.

Hi

I also happen to run a 10gig network. Strangely VM migration is usually quick. But moving the VM disk while VM is off I only get 10Mbps speed? Is there a config I should edit or look into.

Thanks

upload_2018-9-2_20-32-8.png

Sorry looks like my NFS share had config issue also desibled a extrat 1gig port that was on proxmox to make sure all was going with 10gig ports now running into disk speed limit so mutch faster then 10Mbps :)

Hi,
since this is your last post in your thread, I assume you figured it out somehow - I am in similar scenario, only two years later :) So my question is - have you found cure or choose different working model? Because online move from one shared storage to another makes me sick... Testing in my case is online move 80GB qcow2 disk from one shared storage to another. Weird thing is - it takes 4 minutes to write it from NVMe to EMC VNXe3200 storage, but 12 minutes to SLES Supermicro server. Rsync 80GB file to this SLES Supermicro server takes only 4 minutes. So it is not network related I guess, but some combination of proxmox <-> sles nfs server "out of tune" instruments. But what to tune? Tried different NFS mount params, different sysctl tcp mem params, no significant improvement. We want to move our VMs to SLES server in HA and keep EMC only for backups, but writes to EMC are so much faster that it feels strange move for now. So any clue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!