[SOLVED] Directing connection based on domain name

bberny

Dec 11, 2020
Hi,
have one server running proxmox with at least 2 VMs that I want to be used with different domains(both domain names will point to server). I will have only 1 public IP address so I cannot assign public IP to both VMs and I would like to direct connections based on domain name. How can I achieve this ?

example use case :
abc.com will point to proxmox server IP and it will direct the communication to VM1
def.com will point to proxmox server IP and it will direct the communication to VM2

I think that this is not possible in general...

if you try to connect to abc.com, then your computer asks it's DNS-Server where abc.com points to (which in turn asks the authoritative DNS-Servers ...) and it gets an answer with the public IP where abc.com points to.
Then the computer connects to that public IP...
This means that the server where the public IP is configured, does not know for which domain name your computer asked for.

you can configure different port-forwards for the services of abc.com and def.com, but that does mean that you need to provide those ports when connecting to the services.

I hope this explains it

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!