Direct storage missing (not LVM) new hdd not showing up in ProxMox web interface.

zephyrnet

Sep 28, 2012
Hi Folks,
I'm a newb, and have spent 3 or 4 days searching forums & Google without success to resolve my problem. I'm hoping someone can tell me where im going wrong.

I did a clean bare metal install of Proxmox 2.1 onto a 128GB SSD as the boot drive.

I want to add 3 more hard discs as local direct storage. I dont want to use LVM as have diffulcty in the past recovering data stuck in a LVM.

I installed webmin 1.6 successfully, and used it to format the 3 drives as ext4 and created mountpoints for them - see below showing my fstab.

I fully expected to see three additional drives appear in the directory tree in storage view, or at least a button or link to push to be able to add the storage. Sadly I cant see the drives in tree, nor a button. all the screenshots / posts I've found refer to earlier versions of Proxmox, where it was a little red triangle to push to get a drop down.
Please can someone confirm whether im a complete muppet or not.
Do I need to do something else to make the drives appear? Is the option to add drives staring me in the FACE :) ?
See screenshot below, what is it I'm missing ? (Yes I called the Node Odin, but if you saw the case it was in you'd understand ;))

While having a play to see where else and what not was going on I tried to backup a CT of an Owncloud instance I've been playing with to see If there was an option there to add drives, but no option appeared at all. No storage available at all, see here:

I get this when trying to backup:
**removed as too many pics :-(**

I dont know if its relevant, but when I used earlier versions of PM I don't remember having to log in as a user. I've not created any users or groups, as I don't really need any, I'm just a student, I don't have a massive datacentre or anything. Should I have done so to give permissions somewhere? I thought being root was enough?

If anyone can help id be grateful. Perhaps there is an error in my install .iso and I need to do a fresh install? More likely I'm in muppet mode, please can someone point me toward Rome.
I've included pics, as despite days of searching Ive not yet found another screenshot of Proxmox 2.1 Storage View, so I can see if anything is missing.

Thanks in advance

ps, not sure if the pics will show up, as blank in preview so here link http://www.flickr.com/photos/zephyrnet/sets/72157631641682391/

if you mount something via fstab you need to add this storage as "Directory" storage via GUI.

if you mount something via fstab you need to add this storage as "Directory" storage via GUI.

Thats brilliant thankyou, I went looking for that and ....

DISCO! Im not sure how I missed the little ADD> button on the Storage tab, but I did. Grr.

Ive now been able to add directorys, thankyou.:D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!