[SOLVED] different disk order in VM depending on the boot method

alpresci

Jan 25, 2023
Hi all!

I have debian VM with two drives /dev/sda which is where the system is installed and /dev/sdb1 used by nextcloud as data storage (see picture)
normal.png

The problem is that when I boot the VM by pressing "start" in proxmox gui and I do not do anything else, nextcloud does not work.. so I checked and by running lsblk again:

strange.png

basically the whole debian server gets mounted in /mnt/nextcloud!! and /dev/sda1 is ignored... breaking nextcloud and a few other things.

IF I press "start" in proxmox gui and I immediately open a console to the VM then at grub I can manually press "enter" even on the default choice and everything is normal as in first picture.

Can you please help me understand what is going on?
thank you very much for your help!

proxmox 7.3
VM: debian bullseye
/dev/sda --> SCSI0
/dev/sdb --> SCSI1
SCSI controller --> virtioSCSI single
BIOS --> seaBIOS
Boot order --> SCSI0, net0 (SCSI1 is not even selected)

Last edited:
a little update:

after several tests, it actually seems random. It does not really matter the way I start the VM: some times it mounts root on /sda1 some other times on sdb1.

Could you please help me understanding this? thanks!!

fstab.png

apologies for the screenshot but I have not yet configured ssh access to the VM

thank you!!

done!
I am testing it with a few reboots now and it seems ok. No strange mount disk swaps so far!!

I will keep monitoring the situation but, in the mean time,
thank you!!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!