difference: pvecm and ha-manager

proxmox_larry

Nov 7, 2019
Hey guys,

I understand that we use pvecm to create and manage a cluster.
Furthermore the purpose of the ha-manager is to do automatic failovers etc.

But what is the main Clustermanager in Proxmox? How do pvecm and ha-manger (lrm and crm) work together?

Thanks!

my question

Maybe you need to ask a bit more detailed.

A cluster and HA is probably a bit complex for beginners, so just let us know which detail you miss.

AFAIU the pmxcfs in combination with corosync provide decision making and distribution across the cluster nodes. Stuff like which version of a config file is the accepted one. The pvecm tool manages this aspect.

The ha manager and the associated services lrm and crm come into the picture as soon as you actually need HA and handle that part of the cluster operation on top of the the pmxcfs/corosync part.

So from my high point understanding this is not a question which one is the real cluster manager but what features of a cluster do you need. A cluster definitely needs pmxcfs and corosync but not necessarily HA functionality.

Reactions: proxmox_larry
Right. The important point here is that there is no central unit making all decisions. Proxmox cluster is a distributed system, and there is no single point of failure.

AFAIU the pmxcfs in combination with corosync provide decision making and distribution across the cluster nodes. Stuff like which version of a config file is the accepted one. The pvecm tool manages this aspect.

The ha manager and the associated services lrm and crm come into the picture as soon as you actually need HA and handle that part of the cluster operation on top of the the pmxcfs/corosync part.

So from my high point understanding this is not a question which one is the real cluster manager but what features of a cluster do you need. A cluster definitely needs pmxcfs and corosync but not necessarily HA functionality.
I really like your explanation and think that I understand the difference between both.
Also thank you @dietmar @tom

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!