device-mapper: thin: process_cell: dm_thin_find_block() failed: error = -5

Thanks, I guess since there is no firmware for my SSD, I may be out of luck. going to have to figure out how to migrate to a new boot drive.
I had the same thing happening yesterday. also a Kingston drive A2000 500GB. I had it checked by the Kingston SSD manager on win10 but everything was healthy.
first i'm trying to recover as much i can but will start over with a new samsung 970

Last edited:
I had the same thing happening yesterday. also a Kingston drive A2000 500GB. I had it checked by the Kingston SSD manager on win10 but everything was healthy.
first i'm trying to recover as much i can but will start over with a new samsung 970
I would definitely make sure you update the firmware before you get going, just in case that fixes it. I've had no luck getting the firmware updated for any of my ssds.

Hi guys,

I have a Kingston A2000 1TB and have been experiencing "device-mapper dm thin find(block() failed" crashes for the last
few days. First it happened once a week but not it happens every 2 days.

I first thought it was because of my newly added xpenology vm, but after reading several threads on this forum I
think its the kingston firmware or its hardware.
SMART is not giving very useful information.

To resolve this I'm spinning up a window10 VM and will try to upgrade my firmware

I also disabled "write back" cache on my xpenology VM, which was enabled.
Have any of you been using this setting?

Last edited:
Update:
Updating the nvme and ssd disk from a windows10 VM is not possible, so I installed a new installation of windows10 on a
separate disk and ran the kingston update tool and then the updated the nvme disk to version S5Z42109.
The tool also can be used for simple smart diagnostics which showed no abnormalities.

I still don't feel 100% assured but will closely monitor my server the next days.
If another crash ocures i will uninstall the nvme disk and run proxmox from my regular SSD instead.

Good news!
Updating the kingston a2000 firmware solved all my crashes.
I have been running the new firmware for a week and so far 0 crashes.

Reactions: aaron
I think I may have this same issue. Is it still working for you? I have a few questions if you get a chance.

1) is it still working? (mine seems to die randomly every few days)
2) It's going to wipe the drive I'm guessing? (how did you back up your VM's?
3) I have an 870 samsung pro, but I dont see it in the list of available firmware, was your's in the list?View attachment 25911
I have the same issue as you, adn exactly the same drive.
Basically, same problem, it works, but every few days, it crashes with the above error.

Did you manage to fix it ?

Im on the same boat, the problem is my Crucial SSD (CT1000BX500SSD1) does not have a new firmware upgrade
I guess no other option than change the SSD?

1703275656565.png

EDIT: for anyone on the same boat, I had luck opening the PC case and securing SATA connectors

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!