/dev/mapper/pve-root full

I tried all threads in forum but I can not find which files is filling pve-root Is not there an easy way?
Hi,
if you have strange issues to find the "big" files on your partition, there are mostly two pitfalls.

1. An huge directory, which is not seen, because you mount another partition over (umount partition and look for size for this directory). If your backup-path are mounted via nfs, I would look there first.

2. An big open file which is deleted - due to that the file is open, the space are not returned yet. Try lsof to find such an file:
Code:
lsof | sort -n -r -k8 | more
Udo

Thanks Udo you saved my hours.
Hi,
if you have strange issues to find the "big" files on your partition, there are mostly two pitfalls.
1. An huge directory, which is not seen, because you mount another partition over (umount partition and look for size for this directory). If your backup-path are mounted via nfs, I would look there first.
2. An big open file which is deleted - due to that the file is open, the space are not returned yet. Try lsof to find such an file:
Code:
lsof | sort -n -r -k8 | more
Udo
You are %100 right. On other pve server I had same issue, and had problem at matter 1 because my backups are mounted vis sshfs. And I was able to find that directiory with " ls -a " under /. But not on this pve server.
With command of lsof | sort -n -r -k8 | more I got very very long list and I tried looking at each page and could not see any suprising folder. Is that normal, result of command is very long?
And with other suggestion, I was able to find mixed files on both remote mounted and locally stored backup files. After below command, I deleted locally stored files which I was thinking they are on remote. So thank you and this must be definetly added to wiki.
One thing, do I need to make any roll back after below codes?
Code:
Try this:
Create dir in for example /mnt/temp-root
mount /dev/pve/root /mnt/temp-root
du -shx /mnt/temp-root/*

Thanks Udo you saved my hours.

You are %100 right. On other pve server I had same issue, and had problem at matter 1 because my backups are mounted vis sshfs. And I was able to find that directiory with " ls -a " under /. But not on this pve server.
With command of lsof | sort -n -r -k8 | more I got very very long list and I tried looking at each page and could not see any suprising folder. Is that normal, result of command is very long?
yes!
And with other suggestion, I was able to find mixed files on both remote mounted and locally stored backup files. After below command, I deleted locally stored files which I was thinking they are on remote. So thank you and this must be definetly added to wiki.
One thing, do I need to make any roll back after below codes?
Code:
Try this:
Create dir in for example /mnt/temp-root
mount /dev/pve/root /mnt/temp-root
du -shx /mnt/temp-root/*
Code:
umount /mnt/temp-root
Udo

After removing some dead jobs in my dumps
I had to used fuser, from 100% to 2%
fuser -km /mnt
Bad news is I can't back any vm over 95gigs

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!