Deleted image of running vm

twister666

May 11, 2011
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hello everyone!

By accident I deleted a image of a running vm. The vm folder is empty but my vm been running for past month and a half and no trouble. Now I need to restart the server and worry if I restart will lose the vm. Is there a way to get back the image file or there is no way?

Thanks

Hello everyone!

By accident I deleted a image of a running vm. The vm folder is empty but my vm been running for past month and a half and no trouble. Now I need to restart the server and worry if I restart will lose the vm. Is there a way to get back the image file or there is no way?

Thanks

Hi,
don't restart or stop the VM!! Then is you disk-file lost.

Linux mark the file as deleted, but since a process have open the file for writing, it's still excist.

Look with lsof to find the file??

Udo

Hi,
don't restart or stop the VM!! Then is you disk-file lost.

Linux mark the file as deleted, but since a process have open the file for writing, it's still excist.

Look with lsof to find the file??

Udo
Here a short discription. In this case the VM-disk of VM 101 was deleted:
Code:
# lsof | grep 101
kvm       3649       root   18u      REG              253,2 2147483648     524290  (deleted)/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.raw
Importand is the pid (3649) and the filediscriptor (18)
do an copy (before that, it's a good idea to stop important services with open files inside the VM, like databases)
Code:
cp /proc/3649/fd/18 /var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.raw.sav
Voila, the disk-file (of an open-VM!) is copied back.

I would test the copied file with an dummy-VM before i shutdown the original VM!

Udo

Thank you Udo for very informative answer. I will try tomorrow to restore the image. The more I use proxmox and linux in general the more I like it. And community is very helpful. Thanks again.

Code:
# lsof | grep 101
kvm       3649       root   18u      REG              253,2 2147483648     524290  (deleted)/var/lib/vz/images/101/vm-101-disk-1.raw
do an copy (before that, it's a good idea to stop important services with open files inside the VM, like databases)
Code:

I would test the copied file with an dummy-VM before i shutdown the original VM!

Udo

Thanks
Very useful

Code:
# lsof | grep 101
Code:

Udo
Years later, you still saved my day!
Thanks very much!

Question on this post. If the VM is deleted by accident and the VM is stopped is there a way to recover?
If you deleted the image of a stopped vm (or stopped it afterwards) AFAIK there is no simple way to recover, best recover from backup

Thank you, stil very useful in 2021.

Still have no idea how 2 KVM disks were deleted.

P.

Hello.
I just created an account just to write thank you for this very brilliant way to save the .qcow2 file.
Mike

Reactions: udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!