Deleted enp6s0 nic.

danuu17

Sep 2, 2023
As the title says, like an idiot, I deleted the nic ens6s0 while in the web gui.
Tried manually creating another 'enp6s0' file in the interfaces.d dir but to no avail.
Still pretty new to proxmox so idk if someone out there can explain like i'm 5 since that's apparently what level my brain is at this point in time.

Thank you in advance.

Code:
root@uwork0:/etc/network/interfaces.d# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings: autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# what you're doing
#
# If you want to manage parts of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT read its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed services into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

root@uwork0:/etc/network/interfaces.d#

Code:
root@uwork0:/etc/network/interfaces.d# ip a
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00: brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host
        valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
2: ens6s0 <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 4c:ed:fb:94:a2:03 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
root@uwork0:/etc/network/interfaces.d#

Looks like you also removed the virtual bridge. Can you find your gateway address (I used 192.168.1.1) and local subnet (I used /24) yourself and choose the IP address for Proxmox (I used 192.168.1.100)? Then edit (nano /etc/network/inferfaces) to look like:
auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface ens6s0 inet manual auto vmbr0 iface vmbr0 inet static address 192.168.1.100/24 gateway 192.168.1.1 bridge-ports ens6s0 bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0
And reboot after making the change. The manual has some examples for (other) network configurations as well.

Reactions: danuu17 and orionpy
Looks like you also removed the virtual bridge. Can you find your gateway address (I used 192.168.1.1) and local subnet (I used /24) yourself and choose the IP address for Proxmox (I used 192.168.1.100)? Then edit (nano /etc/network/inferfaces) to look like:
auto lo iface lo inet loopback iface ens6s0 inet manual auto vmbr0 iface vmbr0 inet static address 192.168.1.100/24 gateway 192.168.1.1 bridge-ports ens6s0 bridge-stp off bridge-fd 0
And reboot after making the change. The manual has some examples for (other) network configurations as well.
Looks like it's up and running now.
Web gui comes up too.
Much appreciated m8!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!