deleted cluster node still shows up in my gui

You need to remove the whole directory /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>

This was driving me crazy!!!!!!!!!
I tried this and nothing changed at first.. Only after systemctl restart corosync.service was I able to get rid of the deleted node
Thank you all

To get the the node to be removed from the GUI I had to delete the node in the nodelist variable inside the /etc/pve/corosync.conf file.

Edit: I believe just restarting corosync would accomplish the same thing.

Last edited:
Hello, I messed up,
I was trying to remove a node from my cluster and accidently
pvecm delnode pm2 before turning of the node.

now my other node is up but non of the vm boot up..

also when trying to remove /etc/pve/nodes/pm2 directory i get permission denied..

what steps should i take now?

Hello, I messed up,
I was trying to remove a node from my cluster and accidently
pvecm delnode pm2 before turning of the node.

now my other node is up but non of the vm boot up..

also when trying to remove /etc/pve/nodes/pm2 directory i get permission denied..

what steps should i take now?

We'd need a bit more info first:
  • How many nodes are and were in your cluster?
  • Is this pm2 node the node you WANTED to remove, or was that a mistake-typo too?
  • What is the current status of the pm2, is it now already shut down or not?
  • What is the results of pvecm status on (all of) your RUNNING node(s)
EDIT: Also for next time, best to create a new topic instead of necro-posting in a 2-year and before that 12-year(!) old topic

Last edited:
We'd need a bit more info first:
  • How many nodes are and were in your cluster?
  • Is this pm2 node the node you WANTED to remove, or was that a mistake-typo too?
  • What is the current status of the pm2, is it now already shut down or not?
  • What is the results of pvecm status on (all of) your RUNNING node(s)
EDIT: Also for next time, best to create a new topic instead of necro-posting in a 2-year and before that 12-year(!) old topic
Figured this was best place since last post was only 7~8 months ago... non the less,
  • How many nodes are and were in your cluster? --- 2 Nodes to begin with
  • Is this pm2 node the node you WANTED to remove, or was that a mistake-typo too? -- no this was the one i wanted to removed just didn't shut it down before removing it.
  • What is the current status of the pm2, is it now already shut down or not? - yes it was shut down.
  • What is the results of pvecm status on (all of) your RUNNING node(s) --- Below but with few changes since last post..

I got some of it fixed, pvecm expected 1 this brought all the vm's back and then rm -rf /etc/pve/nodes/pm2 removed the pm2 directory.

However, im still stuck with vm's not coming back online after i reboot pm1, and i still have pm2 in the GUI, this is where iam stuck for now.

below is output of pvecm status

Code:
Cluster information
-------------------
Name:             HomeLab
Config Version:   2
Transport:        knet
Secure auth:      on

Quorum information
------------------
Date:             Sun Aug 18 21:16:25 2024
Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
Nodes:            1
Node ID:          0x00000001
Ring ID:          1.44
Quorate:          Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   1
Highest expected: 1
Total votes:      1
Quorum:           1
Flags:            Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
0x00000001          1 192.168.1.10 (local)

Since you're going to be running a single node, without a cluster, anyway, probably easier/better to just remove the entire cluster-config from your node 1.
See also: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_remove_a_cluster_node (the section "Separate a Node Without Reinstalling")
The commands you SHOULD have to run, but maybe already partly did (so triple-check things) :

Code:
systemctl stop pve-cluster
systemctl stop corosync
pmxcfs -l
rm /etc/pve/corosync.conf
rm -r /etc/corosync/*
killall pmxcfs
systemctl start pve-cluster
rm /var/lib/corosync/*
/sbin/reboot

Reactions: chachu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!