Deleted a node by mistake; what are my options now?

Tony

Renowned Member
Nov 4, 2010
I renamed hostname on a proxmox node and then added it to a cluster. For some reason it showed in the cluster under the old name, so I deleted it from the cluster with pvecm delnode. It was a blunder from me, I didn't read the wiki carefully.

Now my question is: apart from reinstalling the node, is there any alternative? There is no VM on the node, but some ZFS pool with data.

The "node must be empty" only refers to /etc/pve context. There is nothing fatal about having data on local storage.
It should be absolutely possible to rejoin the node. You should backup your data just in case.
PVE will not automatically delete/create/etc over your existing ZFS storage.
Look at the join procedures, read them completely before executing any steps. Try to understand why things are done and measure twice before cutting.

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: Andres.Urzagasti
the wiki says:
If, for whatever reason, you want this server to join the same cluster again, you have to:
  • do a fresh install of Proxmox VE on it,
  • then join it, as explained in the previous section.

so I assume a fresh install is a must?

@fabian thank you for your hint; I followed the steps but got stuck at this point:

Code:
pvecm add 192.168.11.12
Please enter superuser (root) password for '192.168.11.12': ************
detected the following error(s):
* this host already contains virtual guests
Check if node may join a cluster failed!

the content of /etc/pve/nodes is below (on all nodes):

Code:
ls /etc/pve/nodes
daika-pve  fenox-pve  maima-pve  teima  teima-pve

The problematic node is teima-pve. I renamed it from teima but I guess I should have rebooted after changing hostname, then join.

So I guess I need to:
- reboot the problematic node
- delete everything under /etc/pve/nodes except teima-pve
- delete teima and teima-pve from /etc/pve/nodes on a cluster node
- re-join teima-pve

Have I missed or overlooked anything?

something like that, yes. on the teima node you also need to remove any traces of clustering (according to the link I replied with earlier).

update: after following the above instructions I could rejoin the node without reinstalling. Thanks again for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!