Dedicated VM for each docker instance ?

juju01

May 16, 2020
I can't decide if its better to have a dedicated vm for each docker app install or just create one gaint vm to hold all docker containers ? Most of the discussions I have seen are centered on the merits of installing docker in an lxc or vm. I have decided to go the vm route. What are the merits of using one vm to hold them all or doing one vm per docker instance? If one big vm, what specs are you guys using?

That depends heavily on the required security isolation.

Docker is not known for its good out-of-the-box security and a lot of docker images out there are not created with security in mind (e.g. running as non-root, beeing able to run in read-only mode, etc.). Also, having a security-centric operation with respect to docker-compose.yml is also not the default and most "solutions" are "it-just-works" solutions passing through sockets or ports directly or just having them run on network: host and no direct isolation of images. There are however storage and network plugins than greatly enhance the default security with docker, but have to be installed, understood and maintained. Having every service on it's own capsulated network (no internet access) is also a must and not the default. A better solution would be to go the route directly to k8s, which has a much better default security model and isolation than docker itself, but of course the more complicated setup and overall hardware requirements (mostly more than one host).

That being said and back to original question with Docker:
I recommend splitting "services" at least with respect to security zones, e.g. only-internally available services from externally available services and depending on the security requirements. Having everything in its own VM has a lot of security enhancements if you also use VM firewalling. Docker + Linux firewall is a nightmare from the inside due to the entries in nat prerouting for passthroughed services. I just ran into this problem again yesterday and there seems to be no good solution besides firewalling from the outside. Depending on the hosted services, you may also use a virtual DMZ for each VM, e.g. via a firewall security group that only allows incoming traffic and only selected outgoing traffic to further cage the services (all from the PVE side). You can also do that on one big VM, but that may get very confusing and the chance of human errors that inflict all services is (much) higher.

Reactions: Dunuin
. A better solution would be to go the route directly to k8s, which has a much better default security model and isolation than docker itself, but of course the more complicated setup and overall hardware requirements (mostly more than one host).

@LnxBil

I tried this route and got quickly lost with setting up a k8 cluster - way too complicated for me. And concerned about how to even troubleshoot if something goes wrong. Won't know where to start ! I could have used k3s. I have also recently being trying my hands at a hashicorp nomad cluster, which is supposed to be easier to setup. Unfortunately, I got myself tangled again with ssl setups between nomad, vault and consul - very few detailed tutorials out there like k8s / k3s. I may take another stab at a nomad cluster since I have the hardware to do it.

Ultimately , it sounds much easier for me to implement something like you suggest above - group apps by security zones. However, this doesn't seem to be different from putting all of them in one giant VM and segment the various docker apps by vlan ( dmz for outgoing ), lab for internal etc ? With regard to dumping everything in one VM, I don't like the idea of taking everything down when that one VM goes offline for any reason.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!