Debian 9 template

Peppe2201

Aug 28, 2018
Hi guys,
I just want to clone a KVM Debian 9 virtual machine, it's just a stock image.
I'm trying with cloud-init, I need for each cloned machine different hostname and IP address (manually setted), obviously different MAC address.
I also need to execute a command and after that reboot the VM.
I'm having a lot of problem with cloud init, it added tmpfiles clean, changed the timezone, locale, ecc. and I don't want all of that, I just want different hostname, IP and the script executed.

How can I do? Are there simplest way to achieve that?

Hi
My tract is slightly different but it might help. I'm using PVE 5 and SaltStack to clone a template, rename and re-IP with Cloud-init, and finally install applications, Apache etc.
I used a Cloud-init image to make things easier (https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/openstack/), that way I knew Cloud-init was working.

Add a cloud-init drive to your template in PVE (Hardware/Add/Cloudinit Drive) and then set a default hostname, IP address, DNS etc in Cloud-Init Drive in PVE and hit the regenerate image.

I get Salt to clone the template and set the CPU/memory etc. After the clone is complete change the hostname and IP address in the cloned VMs Cloud-Init Drive before booting.

When the new VM boots, cloud-init will read the cloud-init drive and update the hostname etc.

Tokala

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!