DC - Node Firewall - settings change ingest + refresh behavior anomaly

N0AGI

Apr 6, 2021
DFW, Texas, USA.
n0agi.com
hi Proxmox community,

First a disclaimer - I may be not fully understanding this and may be is an operator's fault.

I thought I'd share a weird Firewall behavior.

Summary of steps in my example:
  1. DC Firewall enabled w/o ICMP rule
  2. Node Firewall enabled w/ initially ALLOW / Enabled ICMP rule
  3. Client starts ping - ping passes through as expected
  4. Node Firewall ICMP rule is disabled to in effect DROP ICMP requests
  5. Client still keeps passing through w/ its ICMP traffic
  6. Within SSH to Proxmox server,
    1. tried each of these steps separately - "reset" and restarting the pve-firewall.service
  7. Step #5 behavior is still true
Please see the short video here

thanks for any feedback or insights if I am missing something here.

Last edited:
This behaviour is due to conntrack. As soon as a connection is established it gets inserted into the conntrack table and we automatically allow all established connections. This is how stateful firewalling usually works, if you want to prevent this behaviour you can flush the conntrack table after updating your firewall rules - but please note that this might also cause disruption to existing connections that should actually pass through the firewall.

Reactions: N0AGI
This behaviour is due to conntrack. As soon as a connection is established it gets inserted into the conntrack table and we automatically allow all established connections. This is how stateful firewalling usually works, if you want to prevent this behaviour you can flush the conntrack table after updating your firewall rules - but please note that this might also cause disruption to existing connections that should actually pass through the firewall.
got it - thank you.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!