Datastore garbage collector error

andrea68

Renowned Member
Jun 30, 2010
I have a datastore that i use recently also for restic-backup.
Proxmox does'nt bother of restic and work as well.

But the daily garbage garbage-collection failed because restic directory is password protected.

There is a way to avoid the problem or exclude the directory?

Tnx.

yeah, don't use the PBS datastore directory for anything else.. GC will scan all directories except hidden ones and lost+found

Reactions: quanto11
Unfortunately we also need the datastore to make backups from other sources, how can we do?
Do we need to format the datastore and start again from scratch and split it?
Ideas? Thoughts?

Last edited:
a datastore is just a directory.. you can share the underlying storage/disk/mountpoint - but the datastore directory needs to be reserved for PBS usage. so yeah, in your case a datastore in a sub-directory of your shared backup mountpoint is probably the way to go.

Hallo,

I change the Datastore path and seems ok, but garbage-collection schedule report error again...
I'm not sure where is the problem...

please post the GC task log..

Mail alert still report that problem is on restic directory, but now datastore point on another directory and backup it's ok.

If i do some task manually on web interface I had no problem at all.

Where is log files?

under administration -> tasks you can find all the tasks, including scheduled things like GC.

under administration -> tasks you can find all the tasks, including scheduled things like GC.

Ok, this is what confuses me: under tasks I have no errors (only the old ones before datastore move), but in mail I still have errors (see images).

Attachments

• Schermata 2021-03-29 alle 11.00.19.jpg
    Schermata 2021-03-29 alle 11.00.19.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Schermata 2021-03-29 alle 11.00.31.jpg
    Schermata 2021-03-29 alle 11.00.31.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
isn't that mail from before your change? anyhow, without concrete configs and logs I can't really tell you what's going on..

Fabian: no it's not...

I receive this mail every day, but I change datastore directory some days ago.
It's something very strange.

well, the mail states which directory is lacking permissions.. check your datastore.cfg?

datastore.cfg it's fine:

datastore: BKG
comment
gc-schedule daily
keep-daily 5
keep-last 5
keep-monthly 3
keep-weekly 4
path /mnt/BKG/proxmox
prune-schedule daily

The offending directory is in /mnt/restic-repo

I receive this mails every day, but if I check task manually proxmox said I'm fine and garbage collector it's ok.
This is very strange...

could you try reloading the backup services?

Yess, but already tried to reboot the whole machine... It will be enough I guess...
Still problem of mail with errors continue...

the mail and that config entry don't correlate at all (the name is different as well)... after a reboot, no old (pre-reboot) config can be loaded even if there were some kind of cache invalidation bug. I suspect something is wrong on your end (two PBS systems that are mixed up?)

the task logs/system logs correlated with the time referenced by the mail..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!