Datastore - emulating one by another?

UdoB

Famous Member
Nov 1, 2016
Germany
Good morning,

here is a little sunday morning story with a question regarding Datastore emulation:

My homelab is growing - while I am evaluating options to shrink it down for power consumption reasons. Growing is not always linear and with different new (in this case: used) hardware come new pitfalls :)

My ZFS-only cluster (no shared storage) works well. It is just a homelab and the hardware is not uniform but every details is different on all nodes. My current situation is this:
  • local-zfs (rpool/data) exists (of course) everywhere. Usually it is a small ZFS mirror
  • two machines got additional SSDs, the name of the pool and the datastore is just ssd1
This works well, replication and migration works correctly for local-zfs <--> local-zfs and also ssd1 <--> ssd1.

Unfortunately another newly added node (an AsRock DeskMini 110 = small = low end features = hopefully low energy) has just the ZFS mirror for local-zfs. The ssd1 pool for the Datastore is simply not feasible as the case is too small and there are only two SATA ports.

Question: how can I emulate the missing ssd1-Datastore by using a (sub-) dataset of the rpool on that node? Is this documented somewhere?

The goal is to be able to replicate VMs of course. Currently I can only populate that new node by using backup/restore and (surprisingly) live-migration :)

Best regards and have a nice sunday :)

Code:
root@pved:~# egrep -A3 "ssd1|local-zfs" /etc/pve/storage.cfg
zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        content images,rootdir
        sparse 1
--
zfspool: ssd1
        pool ssd1/data
        content images,rootdir
        mountpoint /ssd1/data
        nodes pvee,pved
        sparse 1

Reactions: Tmanok
Hi,
Question: how can I emulate the missing ssd1-Datastore by using a (sub-) dataset of the rpool on that node? Is this documented somewhere?

The goal is to be able to replicate VMs of course. Currently I can only populate that new node by using backup/restore and (surprisingly) live-migration :)
AFAIK that's not currently possible, because you'd need a pool with name ssd1 on the new node as well. That's not possible by using a sub-dataset. You could think about creating multiple partition for multiple pools, but might be a bit messy.
There is pve-zsync where you can replicate even when the pool name doesn't match, but it's not tightly integrated.

Udo just brought my attention here with a similar reason but with enterprise equipment. I'm hoping to replicate between two racks without shared storage for extra disaster recovery reasons. Would be really nice to have a non-archived/compressed VM ready to go immediately, despite a few minutes or even hours of time travel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!