Data storage

vlx

Jul 28, 2009
Hi!

We have NetApp storage and 5 servers connected by FC. We are planning to use Proxmox on them, and to use NetApp for VM images, backups and iso images and all of that is possible in new beta Proxmox VE. Is it possible to use this storage for data used by services on VMs? Storage is visible by host machines but is there a way to be visible by virtual machines?

Hi!

We have NetApp storage and 5 servers connected by FC. We are planning to use Proxmox on them, and to use NetApp for VM images, backups and iso images and all of that is possible in new beta Proxmox VE. Is it possible to use this storage for data used by services on VMs? Storage is visible by host machines but is there a way to be visible by virtual machines?

I am not sure if I understand your setup. You want to store the VM disk on the NetApp storage, connected via FC - works with 1.4.

and now you want to use some of this storage inside? so you need to make a share (NFS, iSCSI) on the storage and mount it inside a VM.?

Yes, I need to mount part of that storage, one of its LUNs inside of VM, for somethig like /var/spool/mail or /var/lib/mysql

Yes, I need to mount part of that storage, one of its LUNs inside of VM, for somethig like /var/spool/mail or /var/lib/mysql

you can mount local devices in a VM, see 'man qm'.
so I assume you have a local device (FC) which can be used here.

Are you suggesting that I should add this LUN to host machine (as /dev/sdxx), make file system on it and than mount it inside VM as ide, scsi or virtio disk?

Will it be possibe to migrate this machine?

BTW, thanks for your help!

Are you suggesting that I should add this LUN to host machine (as /dev/sdxx), make file system on it and than mount it inside VM as ide, scsi or virtio disk?

No. You can simple use the lun as KVM disk - You can select that on the web interface.

Will it be possibe to migrate this machine?

Yes.

That's great! Just what I was looknig for. Two thumbs up for Proxmox and Proxmox support! You are realy fast.

Thanks and best regards,

vlx

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!