Custom Kali Container

you can provide/download any rootfs as .tar.gz and put it in the template directory.

note that you will probably have to mark the type of container as "unmanaged" (because i remember kali has their own stuff in /etc/*release and similar files, which doesn't get recognized as debian).

IMO it works better in a virtual machine :)

Thanks, Oguz. I may choose the virtual machine route. I've defaulted to a container first position due to the benefits but I do understand that in certain situations it doesn't make sense.

you could still get it working in a container, but using "unmanaged" containers doesn't make much sense. you can get it recognized as debian but it would require some amount of tampering with the container rootfs.

also the kali kernel is custom, but since containers share the host kernel it won't actually use the kernel included in the kali repositories.

all in all for kali it makes more sense to just use a VM i think

Ah, very good points. So, regarding containers in general, if I run across something I would like to use that is not listed in pveam available, is there a submission process by which it can become managed?

we have the most common distributions already as templates. if you'd like another template to be added, you can make an enhancement request in https://bugzilla.proxmox.com

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!