ctld support for zfs over iSCSI

zetoniak

Oct 10, 2016
Hello,

I would like to ask if we will see soon an update for ctld support, i've FreeNAS and i made some tests and i noticed that FreeNAS migrated it's iscsi daemon to ctld instead of the expected istgt throwing me this message when creating the VM

TASK ERROR: create failed - No configuration found. Install istgt on 10.0.40.1 at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/Storage/LunCmd/Istgt.pm line 99.

Meanwhile, doing some tests i could see that PVE made the zvol properly, so the problem its only with the iSCSI Daemon and ctld configuration, i delete this zvol manually from freenas and it dissapear properly from Proxmox;
1 - Does proxmox stores some kind of configuration related to this zvol that i should delete?

2 - I would like to know, can i set manually a new extent in FreeNAS using this zvol created by proxmox, for attach it to a VM? If yes, Would i need to set any new configuration on Proxmox side?

3 - What are the displaying methods in proxmox for this kind of storage?, i see my zvol under storage>"ZFSiSCSI-Storage">content, i guess it does thru ssh with any kind of concatenation with the zvol name, but... How are the iscsi targets displayed?

I would like to use ZFS over iSCSI so much for can use properly the zfs functionalities from Proxmox.

Thanks!

this functionality (ZFS-over-ISCSI) was originally contributed by community members, I guess the fastest way to get it included is to write a plugin for ctld yourself (or get someone to write one). I have some updates regarding the iSCSI storage integration on my todo list, but they are not very high up that list at the moment.

Hi,

If someone give me details on the API to implements and how to starts (documentation, examples, ...)
I would give it a try.

At this time FreeNas 9.10 and the next major release of Freenas 10 use ctld instead of istgt.
For home lab, it's a premium choice :)

Thanks Fabian,
I started to wrote a Plugin for ZFS over iSCSI using a FreeNas as a storage (based on ZFSPlugin.pm)

My currently work is available here : https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...-plugins-for-proxmox.12558/page-3#post-120151

I have few issues with overriding the ZFSPlugin.pm (i'm not really fluent in perl) like them:
- I would have the possibility to override the get_base function.
- I would have the possibility to add extra properties in the storage definition (in the /etc/pve/storage.cfg) like a login/password to use for call the REST API of FreeNas.

For now, with this version i was able:
- create iscsi disk
- delete iscsi disk
- resize iscsi disk
- start vm using theses disks
- export disk into another storage and format (but i had to change manually the block size of the iSCSI lun in FreeNas from 4K to 512)
- take snapshots / delete snapshots
- perform backups

I didn't test yet:
- snapshots rollback
- backup restore.

Maybe, i will request changes, or suggestions in pve-devel for a better integration.

Best regards,
Sébastien.

this functionality (ZFS-over-ISCSI) was originally contributed by community members, I guess the fastest way to get it included is to write a plugin for ctld yourself (or get someone to write one). I have some updates regarding the iSCSI storage integration on my todo list, but they are not very high up that list at the moment.

Hi Fabian,

Would it be possible to include this https://github.com/TheGrandWazoo/freenas-proxmox into the main proxmox repository?

Regards,
JP

see above - the authors of those patches would need to submit them for inclusion..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!