crossover cables between 3 nodes

roninhockley

Nov 17, 2013
I have 3 nodes in a cluster, each with a pub IP on NIC adapter 1. The servers have 4 port NICs. I want to establish a private 10.10.0.0/24 network between them using crossover cables. They will be colocated in a DC and I dont want to have any of the priv IP traffic going thru the DC network whatsoever. I also dont want to put a switch in the cabinet.

I need to have server1 connected to both of the other servers via crossover, and have it route traffic so that server2 and server3 can communicate via server 1.

So at this point, server1 is connected to server2 via NIC port2, and connected to server3 via NIC port 3. I will also be running pfsense on server1 to serve out DHCP, DNS etc to the private network. I *think* all I really need to accomplish is to have server1 forward packets between the other 2 servers somehow. What is the best approach? Iptables, route tables, or pfsense? Or could a bridge on server1 do it alone?

Last edited:
After drinking more coffee and finally waking up, it occurred to me that this is the silliest question in my life. I have been working with Proxmox since there WAS proxmox, and I forgot that a bridge on server1 IS a switch. DOH!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!