Creating New Machines

jmace

Feb 12, 2012
I am coming from VMWare Server 2.0 on the Windows server, so please bear with me...

What I am used to doing is setting up a number of virtual guests that are just bare-bones installs of the operating system I would like to use for my virtual machine. When I want to create a new virtual machine, I create one without a virtual disk. I then, copy the virtual disk from my bare-bones install to my new virtual machine's directory. I then add an existing virtual disk, the one I just copied over, to my new virtual machine. This works pretty well since I mainly use virtualization for integration testing of my applications.

My question is, what is the best way, in Proxmox, to "clone", if I'm using the right term, base install machines. I basically want to always have a fully updated and patched base install available to spawn new machines from without having to go through the entire install process.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give...

Jim

My question is, what is the best way, in Proxmox, to "clone", if I'm using the right term, base install machines. I basically want to always have a fully updated and patched base install available to spawn new machines from without having to go through the entire install process.

You can use backup/restore for that purposre (vzdump).

I have my virtual disks set to vmdk and I have my backups set to be compressed. Is it supposed to take 15-20 minutes to backup a 20 GB disk?

My vzdump command is:
vzdump 103 --mode stop --compress 1 --storage backups --node vs

depends on your hardware and network. the upcoming vzdump (in rc1) introduce lzo compression and improved disk scanning - will be overall faster.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!