Creating my VM using my current server config.

pfiltz

Apr 17, 2019
Very, Very newb question for everyone. I'm just now dipping my toe into the VM world. I understand the concept of it for the most basic part. I've played around with Windows Hyper-v and VMware software in the past year or so.

I have a production server running 2012 R2 server that we use daily. This server has an application installed on it, that has been tweaked over the past year or so.

I've created an image of this server with Macrium Reflect 7 so I can restore it in case of a disaster. Data is stored on another drive, and is backed up to 3 different places.

OK, now to my point.

Yes, I can create and have created a 2012 R2 server on proxmox. I've figured out how to access it from my PC runn UNVC. So we're good there.

Having said this, without that application on the VM, it's really pointless going forward.

How would one get your VM setup to be exactly like your production server with all the app's installed as they are now, which has cost us thousands of dollars over the past year or so....

I can't find any program on the web to create an ISO from this image. I'm not sure if the backup program built in 2012 R2 will create an ISO to be honest yet.

Thoughts?

TIA

Thanks W.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't directly related to Virtualization, but I was wondering with a server that has already been setup and applications installed, how one would get that config to a VM.

I'll play with some P2V software and see if the output file will import to Prox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!