Creating a windows VM from a dd image

Oct 25, 2017
I have used linux a fair amount, and also created valid windows installs using install media. Now I'd like to try importing a dd image and using that as my windows vm disk.

The .raw file is quite large so clearly, we don't want to copy that to the vm server- but I can convert it using qemu-img:

https://docs.openstack.org/image-guide/convert-images.html

I have created a 'blank' windows VM but not sure the next steps to create the disk in the vm back end in the appropriate way. So far I've only been using the gui for the most part to import and work with VMs, and don't want to muss things up too much.

Getting the file down to a 'reasonable' size is the first priority, and then of course, getting the image into a bootable state.

Any help will be appreciated! This is a clean image from a factory installed workstation I'm attempting to boot first as a virtual machine.

So far - so good. Only step I'm left figuring out - how do I resize the volume on the VM to something more reasonable as this will be more of a utility VM.....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!