Create VM larger than 2TB

Walter54

Mar 28, 2022
I am currently running Proxmox 6.2-4 and we have 7 VM's in total. The VM's were created
in the GUI and the disk sizes are set to 1TB. Some of the VM's are on lvm-thin storage. We want to enlarge
one of the VM's but the label is DOS and I'm unable to create a new partition or extend the last partition
beyond 2TB because of the DOS label. The Proxmox GUI, however, let me resize the VM to 4TB
(The lvm-thin and local storage are both part of a Physical Volume Group). I expanded the physical VG by
3TB that the lvm-thin storage was in, so the GUI let me expand the VM. However, now I am not able to expand
the filesystem in the VM itself. Can I do anything to expand the filesystem without
re-labeling to GPT without losing data (or backing up & restoring)? Is there someway to include the
added space in the VG into that VM? Also, is there a way to create a VM initially with GPT so the
disk can be larger than 2TB?

You can safely convert DOS to GPT, even with fdisk. At least I have done it multiple times years ago (it was possibly gdisk but as far as I remember the same functionality is now in fdisk as well), but backing the MBR up (which you should do anyway!) is also really simple.

Hi,
just for information, I don't know which OS you are running and how the partitioning is done.
If you use linux and have a single partition you may (will ?) encounter an issue with grub.

I recently extend from 2Tb to 3Tb, and unable to boot because grub file were after 2Tb in the disk (after a kernel update) and grub was not able to reach them.

You can safely convert DOS to GPT, even with fdisk. At least I have done it multiple times years ago (it was possibly gdisk but as far as I remember the same functionality is now in fdisk as well), but backing the MBR up (which you should do anyway!) is also really simple.
I am going to clone the VM and try the conversion, although this is Linux and I will have issues booting until grub regenerated. Thanks for the reply! I was hoping to create a new VM with a GPT label but I'm not sure you can do this in Proxmox. Looks like it defaults to DOS

Last edited:
Hi,

has anyone managed to get this done?
I am trying to create a VM with 5TB from scratch, installation goes well but when the VM tries to boot up, i get a grub error.

I have not been able to find anything that really helps solving this.

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!