Create Backup on existing Thinpool

SunBlack

Jun 22, 2017
Hi all,

I want to create a backup of our a VM on a existing Thinpool. As it is only a temporary backup before an upgrade of the VM (and we have an external backup job as well) it is okay when the backup is on the same machine as the VM itself (as I don't know where Proxmox is storing snapshots I don't trust them this much (as the snapshot disk is only created when snapshot of memory is activated)).

As the storage on the host itself is not enough, I need to add the storage to our existing LVM-Thin: Is there a recommend way to create a LVM-Disk and mount it as directory?

Regards
SunBlack

Hi all,

I want to create a backup of our a VM on a existing Thinpool. As it is only a temporary backup before an upgrade of the VM (and we have an external backup job as well) it is okay when the backup is on the same machine as the VM itself (as I don't know where Proxmox is storing snapshots I don't trust them this much (as the snapshot disk is only created when snapshot of memory is activated)).

As the storage on the host itself is not enough, I need to add the storage to our existing LVM-Thin: Is there a recommend way to create a LVM-Disk and mount it as directory?

Regards
SunBlack
Assuming your thinpool is pve/data (default in Proxmox VE) and you want to create a 10GB volume for backups named "backupvolume" run
Code:
lvcreate -V10G -T pve/data -n backupvolume

and create afterwards a filesystem in it and mount it.

Note that 10G is just the virtual size. Be careful to avoid overprovisioning.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!