Create a VM on ZFS storage without having an ext4 filesystem on top of the ZFS host filesystem

May 28, 2018
Is it possible to create a VM on underlying ZFS storage, and not have the VM format it's disk as ext4 but instead use the zvol directly? Thus avoiding a filesystem on filesystem situation...

Just wondering if this kind of thing makes sense and is possible so ZFS can be put to optimal use.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcd
how would that work with vms? the vm needs some kind of hardware it accesses, not a filesystem

with containers this is the way it works (this is possible because the container and the host share a kernel)

Well it's an open question so I don't really know.
You make a valid point that I hadn't considered!

Maybe I should mount a network share for some data by installing samba on the host...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!