[SOLVED] create a virtual disk to add to vm

cazz

Jul 18, 2021
Sweden
Hi
This is my first post here and I'm very happy to be here and try Proxmox.
I have run vmware some years now but now I helping a friend to setup a Proxmox VE on his server.
It also make me understand more how proxmox works and maybe someday I convert from wmware to Proxmox VE

Now to my question.
I have install a Windows server VM on Proxmox and everything works fine.
Now I like to add a virtual disk to that VM but not sure what is the best settings?
I have add a storage LVM (3.5TB RAID0 of Database SSD so not sure if that is best option) that I going to have two virtual disk on (One for this Windows servern and another for another Windows server)
But when I going to add a disk I get alot of option like cache and bus/device
When I did install server I did use cache:Write back and VirtIO block for bus/device but not sure if I going to have same settings that is not going to run a OS on.

If your LVM uses LVM-thin you need to make sure that your guest os and virtual disk controller do support discard so that TRIM commands can be send from the guest OS to the SSDs to free up space after deleting stuff.
As far as I know Virtio block on Proxmox isn't supporting discard yet. So I would go for "virtio SCSI" as controller, "SCSI" as bus and enable "io thread" for better disk performance. You would need to install virtio drivers to be able to install a Windows on a virtio SCSI drive.
Cache mode depends...I would only use writeback if you got a UPS and raid controller with a BBU.

Last edited:
Reactions: cazz
Thanks for the fast replay.
hmm ok then I know that when is time.

I did just remember that we did a RAID0 from 4x960GB SSD disk.
So why not split to two RAID0 and give each VM OS 2x960 GB disk
I use hardware raid so it easy to do that.
I'm not sure but I even think I can use passthrough to make sure have a fast read/write.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!