Create a Router and route all outbound traffic thru it

lavaquark

Jul 2, 2024
I'm trying to set up a router in Proxmox, ultimately this router should be connected to a VPN, and all traffic from any container inside Proxmox to the internet should route through there.
To simplify it, there is the host on vmbr0, some containers on vmbr1, and the router (10.10.100.250) on vmbr10. Externally I have one IP for the server(lets say 192.168.1.2) and one gateway (192.168.1.1) assigned. If I set the vmbr0 CIDR to 192.168.1.2/24 and gateway to 192.168.1.1 everything works fine (but all traffic goes through the host and directly out), i.e. container1 -> vmbr1 -> host -> vmbr0 -> internet
I can now remove the vmbr0 CIDR and gateway and assign it to vmbr10.
But how would proxmox know to route traffic like that now?
container1 -> vmbr1 -> host (->vmbr0?) -> router -> vmbr10 -> internet
If I try to assign vmbr0 gateway to the router IP 10.10.100.250 (so the vmbr0 should connect to the router), I get the error: "Default gateway already exists on interface 'vmbr10'"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!