CPU Governor Change from intel_cpufreq to intel_pstate

TheSpartan18k

Aug 28, 2021
Hello!
I just setup a new Proxmox server. I am running a Supermicro X11DPH-T motherboard with dual Xeon Gold 6130 CPUs. It is installed via UEFI and uses systemd instead of GRUB. I am trying to see if it's possible to change the CPU governor from the intel_cpufreq to intel_pstate. I have read some articles about passing GRUB attributes, but I'm not familiar enough either GRUB or systemd to know the best course to change it. The current governor uses "Ondemand" and I would like to change it to the intel_pstate "powersave" based on the performance demonstrated in this guide: https://www.phoronix.com/review/linux50-pstate-cpufreq/5

Any other power saving recommendations would also be great! Powertop was also run and the CPUs get down to C6, but anything else to try and save a couple of watts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!