CPU frequency always low

heotke

Jan 12, 2023
Hi everyone,

new on proxmox :)
I have i3 7100 intel processor and when I watch my processor frequency is always 800mhz even if I stress it and the cpu temp is always < 30C

I tried:
- disable pstate
- performance ondemand governor
- processor.max_cstate=0 intel_idle.max_cstate=0 idle=poll intel_pstate

If someone has an idea :)

Reactions: psyyo
I guess you already changed the performance settings in UEFI/BIOS? There is usually a setting to tell the mainboard if the OS is allowed to set the frequencies or if the mainboard just ignores everything coming from the OS and set the clocks on its own.

I don't know about your i3 but on my i5 7600K the only governors it has available are performance and powersave.
ondemand is not an option.

you can check yourself from a console if you run cpufreq-info
it will show you a bunch of stats, somewhere at the end will be available governors and current policy.

then run cpufreq-set
with the appropriate governor you want
( if io delay is not of concern i find powersave quite excellent )

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!